RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this has been asked before but I've been working from home due to inclement weather and I turn my RRS engine daily for 15-20 minutes but today when I turned it on, the battery light came on. No other lights came on. The engine turned on but not completely. The AC and radio and screen are on but the engine just won't complete. Any suggestions, my only saving grace is that it happened at home not out in public in this harsh snow.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
34 Posts
Depending on model year, the charging system is not designed to maintain the battery the best way, it is designed to maximize mpg. Starting and letting engine idle every day is actually discharging, NOT charging, your battery. Quit running engine or put it on a smart charger.

·
Registered
418 Posts
What Tmann45 said... You need to actually drive your Rover to re-charge your battery and not just idle for 15 minutes.

I bought a "Stanley" branded 750 cold cranking amp portable battery charger I keep cinched down in the Cargo Well for just such occasions. I've used it twice already to get the wife's Jeep to get another battery and a stranger in a parking lot that needed help. I think it took less than 60 seconds each charge to get both my wife's Jeep (that seems to need a horse sized battery to get that big V6 going), and a big Toyota Tacoma which is quite fast. I bring it inside once a quarter and let it charge up in the wall overnight and it stays fresh.

I park in a low ceiling parking deck at work. I don't even know how one would get a tow in that stupid place. So I bought the Stanley 750cc amp charger for piece of mind... At the same time I also put a recovery kit full of tools and a full sized and matching Spare Rim and Pirelli Zero tire as well. Being stranded anywhere sucks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts