RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share this, I have constantly been getting 15.9-16.2mpg over last 4000 miles.
Today I installed this Cold Air Intake kit, and on the first 50 miles average is up to 18.9mpg!!! :thumb:

I drove the same way as before: same distances, same load, same fuel, same tires, same hwy/city mix, same everything.

I will post some photos tomorrow, this thing only cost me $80 shipped and seems it will pay for itself with a quickness

I am not affiliated with company that sells this, and I dont usually endorse aftermarket products, but this one works for my Rover
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Youngbro401

Also make sre to upfdate your signature so every one knows which model you are driving ...
Jaybear `8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got it here, made an offer of $70 + $10 shipping, and seller accepted it :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 641wt_1165

Here is how it looks installed:

[attachment=1:1r8yzx9z]DSCF6675.JPG[/attachment:1r8yzx9z]
[attachment=0:1r8yzx9z]DSCF6676.JPG[/attachment:1r8yzx9z]
 

Attachments

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
144 Posts
Made the offer for 70... Would like to see my mpg go from 14.5 to 18.0.... Worth the 80 for sure.

Thanks for the info.

JH
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Filter looks like generic K&N style. It is not oiled.

Today I put another 50 miles on it, mostly city, and average was 17.5mpg. It seems to get excellent highway improvement (2+mpg), while city is about 1mpg better than before.

It is possible that my factory filter was clogged, and whatnot, but I am liking the slight mpg increase
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i didnt notice any change in sound
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,453 Posts
Are you figuring your mileage mathmatically, or are you using the vehicle's mileage reading for reference?
Please keep us updated!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, factory airbox is completely removed. New filter comes with its own heat shield.

I am using factory fuel economy readout on the dash.

After 250 miles, it seems that gains have leveled off, I am showing 17.5 mpg overall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,806 Posts
Ace 95 said:
why does my rover get 12-13 mpg, even on the interstate???? :(
That is fairly normal, there are many factors that can come into play... alignment, tire size/tread, spark plugs/wiring, driving habits, environmental factors... also many people look at the computer MPG display and assume it is correct. It usually isn't. To get the correct number you need to do the math yourself based on distance covered and number of gallons used when you fill up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
Man-O-War said:
Filter looks like generic K&N style. It is not oiled.

Today I put another 50 miles on it, mostly city, and average was 17.5mpg. It seems to get excellent highway improvement (2+mpg), while city is about 1mpg better than before.

It is possible that my factory filter was clogged, and whatnot, but I am liking the slight mpg increase

is it hard to install??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,806 Posts
I'm generally skeptical of claims from cold air intake manufacturers... in theory, if your engine is actually getting more oxygen, the computer will sense this and deliver MORE fuel... which may lead to increased power but not sure about MPG...

Also, it is hard to tell from the photo, but that intake looks sort of exposed... I would be careful about driving in the rain and splashing through puddles unless there is some mechanism I can't see which will prevent water from getting sucked in through the filter if it gets wet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,484 Posts
linuxfreakus said:
I'm generally skeptical of claims from cold air intake manufacturers... in theory, if your engine is actually getting more oxygen, the computer will sense this and deliver MORE fuel... which may lead to increased power but not sure about MPG...

Also, it is hard to tell from the photo, but that intake looks sort of exposed... I would be careful about driving in the rain and splashing through puddles unless there is some mechanism I can't see which will prevent water from getting sucked in through the filter if it gets wet.
You should see more power and better MPH when you increase the flow of air to the intake, this goes for exhaust too... The logic is with more air you make more power which means you need less pedal to maintain a given speed translating to a potentially better MPG.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,806 Posts
brad s1 said:
You should see more power and better MPH when you increase the flow of air to the intake, this goes for exhaust too... The logic is with more air you make more power which means you need less pedal to maintain a given speed translating to a potentially better MPG.
But doesn't more air mean that it burns more fuel? The computer always knows the amount of oxygen and should only deliver the exact amount it needs (which would mean more fuel if there is more air), the pedal is all relative, no? So more power, but I don't see why efficiency would change in a significant way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,484 Posts
linuxfreakus said:
brad s1 said:
You should see more power and better MPH when you increase the flow of air to the intake, this goes for exhaust too... The logic is with more air you make more power which means you need less pedal to maintain a given speed translating to a potentially better MPG.
But doesn't more air mean that it burns more fuel? The computer always knows the amount of oxygen and should only deliver the exact amount it needs (which would mean more fuel if there is more air), the pedal is all relative, no? So more power, but I don't see why efficiency would change in a significant way.
It isn't necessarily, "more air/more fuel = more power," but I see your logic! When you upgrade the intake, or free up exhaust, there is less resistance against the engine, so it's able to draw whatever volume of air the computer feels necessary with less effort.

Its like breathing through a straw, you have to work harder to get air to your lungs... Remove the straw and air flows much more efficiently.
 
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Top