RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else seeing these conversions not holding up very well? I've had my 01 HSE for 8 yrs now, so coils could have 50k plus on them and time.

Should rust be common and hard to avoid in the Northeast? Would Air struts fare better, if I got a revised set? Pros and cons from a cost standpoint? Opinions please and ideas too

Post up how long yours lasted, I would do a poll here but I don't see the option on my cell

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Air springs replaced with Dunlops when I got the car, 8 and a half years and 168,000 miles later, still working perfectly.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My one is on coils, found a broken rear one not long after I got her about six months ago. Replaced the two reads with heavy duty ones because I carry slot of wait. I intended to put her back on air but looking at her history which I have. I am not going to bother, will be changing them all next year for arnott springs. Expensive but much better quality. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe it's the struts, but springs aren't looking good... might as well do both once you rip her open.

You guys mention Dunlop and Arnott, are those solely air based like OEM or an improved design? I do not know what brands of coil conversions we are all using on our P38s

·
Registered
392 Posts
so you want to go back to air bags 8 years later . how's the compressor , valve block , air lines etc first question is, is it all there as it will require rebuilding or replacing . make shore its going to work or you could be opening a can of worms , there's a reason its on coils???
as for the preference. its more of a personal preference .
as for the life of airbags and components its hit and miss some last years and some don't, hence the coil conversion.
there is only 2 parts to a coil conversion a spring and a shocks , springs sag shocks go soft
there's many part to air bags and they all cause problems of there own.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Mine had coils when I got her, converted it back to air.. But on coils it handled like crap with a little bit of weight in the boot..

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agreed, I bought it as a coil convert, so going back to air would be a marathon vs just new springs and shocks. Just hope I find a brand that will last longer as I love my 30th and want to keep it a long time.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Not sure how much coils cost in the US but with Dunlop OEM air springs at £50 a corner from Island 4x4 and another £30 for a valve block and compressor rebuild kit, it's probably cheaper than coils. It isn't difficult either.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,672 Posts
Coilover Conversion Longevity
Anyone else seeing these conversions not holding up very well?
Do you actually have a coilover conversion? A "coilover" is a coil spring with a strut in the middle.

Most folks just have a coil conversion done... so instead of an air bag holding the rig up , you have coil spring holding the rigup with separate dampers/ shocks .

edit: odd I wrote this last night and forgot to hit post... question still applies though

·
Registered
326 Posts
Not sure how much coils cost in the US but with Dunlop OEM air springs at £50 a corner from Island 4x4 and another £30 for a valve block and compressor rebuild kit, it's probably cheaper than coils. It isn't difficult either.
I think a coil conversion is more expensive as fixing the air suspension.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, prior owner ditched the OEM air for the coil springs and strut setup. I don't know the condition of the remaining air parts, thus I will not rush on a plan just yet. Not too worried about the rust, or the feel of the suspension in its current state.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
So, as you did not actually answer Toadie's question about "Coil Over and Strut" and you mention this set up yet again,
Do you have "Coils" and "Shocks" in the normal separate places. or are there "Struts" inside the coils? (Coil over strut setup)
If so, post a couple of pictures, as it would be an unusual setup.

As for ride differences? I have 2 2002s here side by side being driven daily.
White one is EAS with Arnott Gen II bags (Wish I had Dunlops) and Borrego is coils. We have some lumpy and potholed roads around here and the EAS is FAR superior ride for that kind of 35mph driving.
On high speed runs down to LA I found the coils were terrible for handling on the LA freeways at normal (90+) mph left lane speeds and that it required full concentration when hitting even small surface irregularities. Same run a week later with white one, EAS handled smoothly and had absolutely none of the skittering around. Practically a relaxing experience:thumb:
Both are running the same Cooper tyres.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Aftermarket springs seem generally not as well made as factory in my experience, not sure why. Maybe find the OEM maker and get the size/rate you want from them? Old porsches, my old D90, went back to original on everything. Isolators in the D90 and Gwagon are nice for a bit of lift/cushion while keeping stock springs.

My P38 rides on factory air - everything can be kept working right pretty easily and just check the system regularly with a soapy spray bottle. Just o-rings and plastic tubes, all pretty basic stuff that's fun to fix. Haha. Can't beat the ride and the ride height variation capability define these cars. Would never go to coils.

If I were to consider a mod it would be to Arnott Gen 3 - which are progressive in the opposite way of original air. They are a bit tighter at cruise height and are softer when raised - this was a design flaw of the originals in my view, but I don't really want a harder ride at cruising height. But I might try it if/when the second set of factory bags on her break (they've been replaced once).

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Errrrrrr........................
Tough to find a spec for factory springs as, in the case of the P-38, there never were any Thus no OEM maker.............:geek:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ummm.. UK police vehicles were spec-ed with coils. The BECM has a switch for Normal/UK Police. Switching this automatically switches to "EAS Manual" or coils. without having to resort to the normal external jumper leads.

As for a spec, front is normally 133 lb/in and rear 150 lb/in. With the P38 greater overhang and rear weight, 180 lb/in might be better with 220 lb/in if you carry a load all the time.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Ummm.. UK police vehicles were spec-ed with coils. The BECM has a switch for Normal/UK Police. Switching this automatically switches to "EAS Manual" or coils. without having to resort to the normal external jumper leads.

As for a spec, front is normally 133 lb/in and rear 150 lb/in. With the P38 greater overhang and rear weight, 180 lb/in might be better with 220 lb/in if you carry a load all the time.
Well, Hush Mah Puppies!
You just Leann something new here every dang day!8-0=
So, that kinda makes sense as the plod would be quite embarrassed if the squaddie went to bump stops right in the middle of a high speed chase!
So, is the EAS the only thing this setting changes? (Often wondered)
Thanks for the info!:thumb:

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,157 Posts

Where did you find that information? Were you involved in the conversion of P38's for the police spec?

I'm dubious as Richard_G has an ex UK police vehicle and never mentioned about it being on coil springs. I also have a 2001 Vogue spec with original BECM/Settings etc and it's set to 'UK Police' and is on air... I don't get EAS Manual coming up on the dash every time I start it, as you suggest this setting does.

Also in all the parts manuals I've ever seen where there have been other 'Police Spec' parts (shielded HT leads, and things like that) I've never seen any referring to coil springs.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts