Range Rovers Forum banner

Coil spring sag

Tags
coil sag spring
2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Gerk 
#1 ·
I just installed some 2" coil spacers all around. I know some frown on these and I down the road I plan to swap out now coils.
When I purchased the Rover (89 RRC) the right rear had a small bit of right rear lean to it, however it had a spare on it so I just attributed that to the sag.
I installed the spacers and the lean is much more noticeable. I then installed new tires (all same size) and lean is pretty noticeable.
Couple questions.
Could spring have been installed back in wrong somehow?
Could just 1 rear coil sag more than the other is they are supposed to be the same thing?
I plan to install new shocks all around. If the rear right shock was toast, could that be the cause?
Maybe something else??

I know that I prob should replace all coils and shocks, but I am not sure I want to go that route just yet. Still shelling out money to get her running.

Thanks all

#2 ·
Shocks have nothing to do with ride height. "Shocks" are actually just dampeners to cushion the rebounding of the suspension.

Usually spring kits come with driver and passenger sided springs per axle. The driver side is a bit longer to compensate for the weight of the person behind the wheel. So with no driver the right side MAY be a bit lower. Normally most people do not notice it. Then again coils can sag with age. Purchasing a preowned rig you never know if the coils are a matched set or a mix of used coils if one of the POs had issues at some point.

#3 ·
Landrover coils have been produces in many shapes and sizes most are interchangeable. They are identified by colour striping on the side (if you wash them real good you should be able to find the colour coding)

http://www.red90.ca/rovers/springinfo.html

Link above gives a fairly complete overview. You should be able to count the coils and measure the free length (after removal).

As stated by RRToadHall there are LH/RH pairs. Especially on LHD vehicles you have the driver and spare wheel all sitting on one side of the vehicle.

#4 ·
2 great replys thank you.
I will check what is painted on them.
I will most likely just replace them. Not that I want to spend another dime currently.
I need to add, and I doubt it makes a difference although....
I bought this rover missing an engine. Currently the engine is being worked on.
Without an engine, would the Rover lean that direction?

#6 ·
Yup that's what I figured. New coils all the way around.
When I pulled the engine out of other rover, looked like it was about to do a wheelie

If I go terrafirma coils, which are the better ones medium or light?
I don't plan on a lot of offroading. Maybe some trail riding.
Towing a little. A few snowmobiles in winter and an aluminum fishing boat in summer
Heavy I think would be too stiff.
Leaning toward mediums

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.