RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
After spending a big chunk of change on two front air struts and a new compressor 25K miles ago, the suspension fault came on again and it's stuck in standard height only. I think the line with the blue collar is leaking air at the pump end and not sure what else is wrong. The RRS is otherwise running well and I intend to keep it a while longer. Instead of spending another chunk of money on chasing down the EAS system faults I am considering a standard profile conversion kit from AB with the EAS reflash. Is there any notable down side to this conversion? Has anyone here done the conversion? How is the ride quality compared to OE?
Our 2006 RRS is 99% asphalt, not towing anything.

Your thoughts and experience is much appreciated,

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
768 Posts
The major fault is not be able to use one of the major advantages of the RRS - the air system.

Learn how it works and fix what you have got - when you did the compressor did you get a genuine Hitachi or a knock off as this is most likely the problem.

If you have a leak from the blue line then your cap on the desiccant chamber is cracked and most likely the cause of your problems - get an aluminium cap that does not leak.

Have you read your fault codes? These will tell you where to start diagnostics.

Changing to coils is not a good idea - properly fix what you have got - it is not all that expensive.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
I was faced with a similar choice. My compressor went bad (3rd one) which coincided with a blocked valve and my rear struts were the originals and likely needed replacing. It costs me half as much to switch to coils. Hardly notice the difference on pavement, but I regret it off road. I run heavy with RS sliders and front skid plate and feel like I lost overall clearance. Looks like I'm closer to stock normal height even tho I'm on 18s + 2" lift kit. Sliders got a lot of use on seemingly moderate obstacles which I would have expected to clear when I had EAS (raised by rods and/or Gap). Not sure I'd make the same choice knowing what I know now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The shop that did the work replaced the compressor unit made by Dunlop, My main concern is with the ride quality on asphalt switching to coils, the appeal of the Atlatic British conversion is to be able to retain all the Terrain Response minus ride height adjustment. We bought the RRS brand new, we only had to use it in raised mode no more than a handful of times.
Phil: may I ask which coil kit did you go with? I am surprised to hear even with 2" lift the ride is still near normal height.

I'm still on the fence, I guess running the codes will determine the outcome.

·
Registered
863 Posts
The usual leak by the blue grommet is a crack in the plastic housing plate between the two hoses. There is an after market upgrade made of aluminum to fix this.
example in pic.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
@orbeamike i got the AB kit. remember i'm running heavy. the rover specialties sliders are almost 300# and i think the front skid plate is another 100#

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks very much for the replies, I may attempt a fix with the XBR end cap and go from there.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Part of this issue is you have a knockoff clone compressor rather than the real thing - if you had spent a bit more money at the time and got a Hitachi (or got your old one rebuilt) then you would not have to be spending more money now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, I manage to remove the air compressor today and called up the end cap company to make sure the product will fit my Dunlop unit. It turns out that my particular unit has air inlet and outlet the same size 6mm holes to the dryer. Hitachi and some Dunlop units have 6mm outlet and 4.7mm inlet hole sizes. I can use the new end cap if I can source a hole reducer somewhere..........have you guys run into this problem?

thanks

·
Registered
863 Posts
My compressor is just a Hitachi knockoff from ebay and the cap fit.
I never even looked at the inside. Just went out to my garage and looked at the one I took off. It has a small hole and a larger one. Seems to have made no difference as mine works fine now.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I would connect the compressor to 12V externally and make sure the end cap is leaking .. spray with soapy water and watch for bubbles. The ebay rebuild kits contain new exhaust valve spring & desiccant - although if compressor is relatively new - you might not need that ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all,
After spending a big chunk of change on two front air struts and a new compressor 25K miles ago, the suspension fault came on again and it's stuck in standard height only. I think the line with the blue collar is leaking air at the pump end and not sure what else is wrong. The RRS is otherwise running well and I intend to keep it a while longer. Instead of spending another chunk of money on chasing down the EAS system faults I am considering a standard profile conversion kit from AB with the EAS reflash. Is there any notable down side to this conversion? Has anyone here done the conversion? How is the ride quality compared to OE?
Our 2006 RRS is 99% asphalt, not towing anything.

Your thoughts and experience is much appreciated,
If you decide to do the Change over, I would be interested in those front struts if you want to sell them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My end cap has a crack and it's definitely leaking air. I found a Dunlop replacement end cap from UK with 2 6mm holes so I am going to replace it. The metal screens that anchors the felt pads are very rusty, I removed the rust as much as I could. Before I put everything back with new felt pads and desiccant is it wise to spray some primer onto the metal screens to prevent more rust down the road?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts