Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to bring my P38 back from coils to air suspension. I'm debating on installing new air lines with the hope of not always chasing issues with the systems after rebuilding the pump, valve block, installing new bags, air dyer and sensors.

They are now 18 years old and I think it was converted to coils 10 years ago. They are still there but I got to believe they are brittle.

Is replacing the airlines overkill or should I go ahead and do it.

If so any tips and tricks from someone who had done it would be helpful.

Thanks,

Ken

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Having just replaced the rear bags on the 02, I found the air lines to be in great condition.
Unless they have been damaged, cut or melted, they seem to hold up very well.
You just do not read here about airline failures.......I would inspect all the lines, check the ends for clean and square, and use what you have.......That is what I am planning on the Borrego.
OH, and GOOD ON YA! for putting the EAS back in!:thumb:

·
Super Moderator
3,191 Posts
They are meant to be brittle, so are normal. As Bolt says, they very rarely fail unless an exhaust blow melts them.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hello All,
I would like to convert mine back from coils to airbags. Everything is there except the air lines. Any sourcing information available?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Also converting back. Has anyone used the $160 bags from eBay? Or is the general consensus to simply do OE. I'd like to stay away from Arnott.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I would say that $160 bags are worth about that......No Chinese knock offs for me please.......
I have Arnott Gen 2 and had one blow out recently. They were very quick in replacing the bad bag even though it was 8 years old.....
If I have to replace them, or when I get time to convert the Borrego back, I will be using Dunlops.
Cost a bit more, but trustworthy, and comfy ride to boot!

·
Registered
47 Posts
The Dunlop’s don’t really cost much more than the Chinese ones. Island 4x4 is selling them for about $55 each. I bought a set from them a couple of years back and have had absolutely no problems with them. For $50 difference why risk it?

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Thanks, I'll look at Island 4x4 and order some Dunlops, I saw around $400 for a set of quality ones on eBay so that is where my question spawned from.

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
as far as the "how-to"... "SCOTTY" wrote a very detailed "how-to" with pics a few years ago. Just use the search tab, "SCOTTY" as the author and pick P38 as the forum.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The UK.rs-online is a dead link now but thanks for the 6 mm part Richard. Falconworks.net said they do not have them in stock but they have various size lines. I would have to tell them the size (which now I know). This is fine but you also need fittings. Thanks Kenin.
Vancer

·
Super Moderator
3,191 Posts
Check your local RS website and look for item number 483-4970. This is for blue coloured hose but if you want black it is 483-4958. If you need connectors, which you shouldn't if you intend replacing the full length, I've used RS item 812-106 and never had one leak. They are rated at 20 bar too so twice the maximum pressure you are going to get in the EAS system.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
It needs to be nylon 6mm od and 1mm wall thickness. Some tubing used for robotics is polyurethane and is too soft.
The existing tubing on your car will outlast the car imho. If you need to splice in a few short pieces use Wade brass fittings, the push in ones eventually leak.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey folk
Turns out I have all the hoses. Color-coded. I had seen an 2000 Range Rover in the breaker yard and saw the hoses dangling in the engine bay. I didn't think to look at my pump housing.
I changed out my back brakes today and sure enough, the hoses were dangling by the back axle.

Thanks for you help. Probably someone else can use the information. Particularly as our rigs get older.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts