Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

My RRS 20" black rims developed a slow leak. I took it to a tire shop and they discovered it was some corrosion near the bead and the coating was flaking off in large chunks. They scraped off what was loose and put the ires back on. They said it was likely I will be back in 3-6 months with another slow leak and perhaps the other wheels will develop it too.

My RRS is a 2016 with 16K miles. It has been driven in the the NYC/Boston area and kept in a garage. Is this normal or do I have defective rims?

Here are pictures of the wheels and the coating that is flaking off at the bead.

PC220251.jpg PC220254.jpg

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Are you the original owner of those rims? I don't know what the coating would be. Most factory rims are painted. If folks change color they usually go with powder coating for durability.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not the original owner but I do have the original sticker. I bought it after the original owners 2 year lease was up. The wheels are listed as 20" Style 520 wheel but no mention of the black powder coating that they have. They seem to be this wheel which is listed as OEM silver or powder coated black. https://www.hubcaphaven.com/p/21612/aly72252-range-rover-sport-wheel-silver-painted-lr044848.html. From the VIN I would think the dealer would be able to see that the powder coating is OEM. I'm trying to figure out if I should expect warranty service on something that is failing.

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
playing devil's advocate here. I would think that if they were black from the factory it would say "black" on the window sticker. Black is optional and has different part number than the stock silver.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts