RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I’ve got serious clutch issues at the moment. Only about 1cm of action at the floor of the pedal, a leak at the slave and possibly the master. Looking to just replace them both.
Can anyone offer part numbers that would work for my ‘79 V8 with and LT95? Not real easy to find. I THINK they may be simply the same ones (or a direct swap, at least the slave) with those from an early Disco 1, making them much easier to find at a local auto parts store.
Can anyone confirm?

2nd problem: I went to tighten the slave up, hoping that might fix the leak. The lower bolt spins in place. Either broken or stripped. Has anyone had similar problems? I don’t want to pull it out until I have a new slave ready to swap in, but I’d like to be prepared. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Brice

·
Registered
322 Posts
I think it's more likely that you'll find something in one of the following lines as these components were pretty universal for British vehicles at that time.

MG B GT, Rover Sd1, Triumph Stag, Jaguar XJS etc

I'll try to see if I've got any relevant info and post it.

For the master, see if you can get a look up inside where the pedal rod passes in to the firewall as it'll often confirm a leak there with obvious brake fluid presence.

·
Registered
322 Posts
They do look pretty std from manuals I've got and just Girling / Lockheed stock items.

That "pulled" bolt may need attention though, possibly a helicoil of timesert to repair the threads.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Get the parts catalogue p/n RTC9846CH (1970 to 1985)

For the Clutch Parts there are VIN numbers and LH RH options. There is metric and Imperial.

Assuming with the age of your car, most likely pn/ AEU1714 Master Cylinder, Slave TKC2786

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks JS5D.
I pulled the slave yesterday as the clutch died and was leaking there terribly. The rubber boot was missing when pulled.
I sourced a replacement part from generic auto parts store here in the US. The hole fits just fine, but the bolt holes in the slave were too small for the M10 bolts that I took out.
I took the slave to my machine shop and had them bore the holes to fit an M10 ($5).
I'm going to try mounting this evening, if only to drive it home. Though it is clearly not the exact fit for my rig (given the difference in hole sizes), I'm hoping it will get the job done.

I am going to get that parts catalog though. In part because I'm fascinated by why there would be different master/slaves for LH vs RHD. I can't wrap my mind around why that would be.

·
Registered
261 Posts
While it might be convenient to nip down your local parts shop, for these cars I recommend you buy the correct parts online, best directly from the UK. The UK is typically cheaper and quicker I find. Browsing the various UK websites also provides you with valuable information like VIN number ranges and alternatives brands and superseded part numbers. In fact the biggest challenge might be that some parts are starting to get of poor quality from some vendors, which is a common issue on older car parts.

In your case I am a little surprised that there is an M10 bolt in there. First of I would kinda expect it to me imperial and them M10 seems awfully big to hold a slave cylinder in place. You might find that somebody stripped the thread and cut a new M10 thread. Nothing wrong with that, but in that case even a proper Land Rover part would have had to be modified. I would had expected somebody that owns a 1979 Range Rover to have the tools to ream a hole. Are you going to rely on external companies to do all your work? This is going to be costly...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks @JS5D. This rig is a Venezuelan CKD, so some of the parts are not consistent with UK assembled trucks. The VIN is also Venezuelan and does not help search for parts at all. I sure wish it did. I find most of the UK parts websites to be a bit difficult to search given this.
I'm not sure what size bolt to expect, but the slave I pulled was certainly reamed for an M10 or equivalent imperial size. And yeah, I do need a new drill press. Mine is great for woodwork but bogs in thick metal. Thankfully my business neighbor is a friendly machine shop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts