RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I've got a 2001 RHD V8. I was turning in to my road when there was a prominent "Clunk" sound and it felt like the whole vehicle jumped a little.I was only going slow at the time.
I've had a look underneath but cant find anything obvious broken / snapped / sheared off. Jacked it up and checked the wheel bearings ,all appear ok.
I'm no mechanic so any help in plain speak would be a great help, thanks in advance .
Andy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi, Just to add been out for a very carefull short drive , no strange noise's ect when driving staight or turning left but right turn still clunking and jumping !!! I did try different ride hights and think it was better in max height but still not right.
Just trying to give as much info as possible for any help.

Andy

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just a thought...If your front end checks out ok I would check the transfer case. My friends 4.0 would make terrible clunking sounds and the wheels would jump (rear end) when he would take a tight right or left turn.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'll have a look to see if any thing looks wrong.I take it I'm looking to see if the case mountings are not tight ?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Not Exactly... my understanding is the transfer case takes the drive from the engine + transmission and distributes the power to both the front end and rear end evenly and variably when needed. When you turn tightly, you are in effect turning/powering the front diff at a much higher rate then the rear diff. A healthy transfer case makes the needed change by allowing the front to turn at the needed higher rate when in a tight turn while distributing power. An unhealthy transfer case can cause a slew of issues most notably the one where you hear clunking and the rear tires jump/skip as if you have a seized diff when taking a tight turn.

The only strange thing is that you only get the noise when turning hard left, if it were a faulty transfer box I would assume it would happen when you turn tight right or left. Is the sound coming from the front of the car or the rear? Also take a look at the drive props specifically the ujoints. Again the left turn only sound has me think it might be front hub or possibly something with the front diff if the noise is indeed coming from the front end.

Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Leomd, many thanks for taking the time to reply , I'm off out under the truck now ( got a friend coming round who knows one end of a spanner from the other ) will try and check your thoughts out.

Andy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update : We checked everything over , then decided to drain the rear diff oil to see it's condition. OMG it was metallic the magnetic plug had so much debris attached to it.
So now i know its the diff , we didn't have time to strip it down last night but to time to start pricing up a new unit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts