RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got both air shocks replaced like last week

went on a moderate off road trip and there is a front left side clunking noise from front left side

‘’any ideas

sounds like when my Mercedes s550 has transmission mounts gone bad

This is on my 2011 rr hse

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
47 Posts
I assume this is a reference to the upper (rear) control arm body side bush. I’ve replaced mine three times in five years. Not a difficult job providing they don’t put up a fight.

I wouldn’t have said that they get particularly noisy, but I notice that the truck gets a little floaty driving down slight inclines. I guess that the castor angle gets messed up as the front wheel torque goes negative.

As you can see from the photo, there is about 3mm difference in the center hole offset between the two brands here. A wheel alignment will definitely be required afterwards. The new bush is a Lemfoerder.

·
Registered
2006 Range Rover
33 Posts
Definitely your control arm bushings, i had the same clunking noises on slow bumpy roads, I just replaced all front control arms on my 06 RR HSE, had to realign it too. But the noises are gone and it feels like the steering and suspension are a bit tighter and smoother.

I actually mounted a camera under my RR and watched the control arms as i drove and found they were moving all over the place and banging around while driving

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just picked the car. Up
he advised that the two new shocks he had installed one was probably weak or defective and gave up
he installed a new shock no charge to me
and it is driving fine again

I had asked him to check the bushing and he stated they were fine

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
47 Posts
Good to hear they found the issue without further charge. I have a separate noise that I think is coming from a front shock and so it’s good to know that they can make noises.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts