RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have replaced the front brake pads on my 2003 RR at 47000 miles myself. I am getting a "clunk" from the front right side when I first pull reverse from the garage and also many times at the stop sign when I apply brakes and when I accelerate. I have taken the pads again and reinserted it and still the same symptoms. There is no problem in stopping (braking performance). Just wondering what it would be. Any ideas? I have already replaced the front lower arm last week.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Could be that the rotors are warped and the caliper is not flush with the pad. I had the same problem...there would be a sort of click every time I applied the brakes after a rotation of the tires.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
As already mentioned if its a loud "click" suspect the pads/disc but dont rule out that something else has broken if its more a clunk... I often find that as soon as you fix one thing something else falls off.

Do you have the old pads? you could put them back to see if the problem goes away (I wouldnt advise it if you cant remember which ones go on which side though) Was the anti rattle spring nice and tight in the piston when you fitted them? One of mine was squashed in the box and needed re-shaping.

Dan

·
Premium Member
1,887 Posts
Stop!!!

Before you go and replace the rotors, Did you place a good coating of the grease on the pad backs, and the slip pins? I had a noise that I thought was a ball-joint making noise right after my last front pad change. I would stop and then as I was backing there would be a clunk as I touched the brakes to slow, and then if I would go forward and braked again the same noise. What it was was the pads moving in the calipers (only a 16th or less of an inch). After a good coating of the grease that came with the pads the noise went away and after 10k has not returned. Worth a try.

Mark.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Guys - did that work ?? and when you say grease on back of pad, you mean on the caliper side - what does that do ??? i don't understand the mechanical part of it, but hey if it works, i'll take it.
i have the same noise after replacing the front pads and turning the rotors.
thanks
rt

G

·
0 Posts
redtarpon said:
Guys - did that work ?? and when you say grease on back of pad, you mean on the caliper side - what does that do ??? i don't understand the mechanical part of it, but hey if it works, i'll take it.
i have the same noise after replacing the front pads and turning the rotors.
thanks
rt
No. You put the grease on the side that touches the rotor, Guaranteed to get rid of that infernal squeaking... :twisted:

Now before you run of and do that, don't. If you have to ask these kinds of questions when it comes to braking systems, you really aren't qualified to be playing around with them.

Pads do not move [appreciably] in the calipers, except in and out with the piston. Even a 1/16th is too much, If there is any rotational movement [fore / aft] of the pads when braking, then you have a poor substitute for a decent set and they need to be thrown away and replaced with GOOD QUALITY replacements.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing