Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my second RRC, went from a 93 lwb to a 95 swb. The first was a rusted out offroad machine, and the newest one is a high mileage beauty queen. Havent found any major rust on it, just some minor surface rust, and a paint job that looks nearly perfect.

The problems I am having are making me feel its incredibly unsafe to drive though. First, lifter ticking. I know how to solve the problem and have already begun ordering the parts necessary to freshen up the valvetrain.
Second, when im driving over 55mph and i let off the throttle, the front end begins to rumble pretty loud, which makes me thing that its something to do with the transfer case or the front axle. Any thoughts or common problems i should investigate? apparently my brother whom i purchased this new truck through said there wasnt any power going to the front end, and that it could be what he called, a "viscus coupler".
Third, when i make a hard left turn, as i turn the wheel all the way, right before the end of its turning radius theres a thunking sound on the drivers front wheel, could be any number of problems im sure. however, I do know that it needs tierod ends, but im wondering if there could be something going on with the knuckle that could be doing it.
Other than that, all the little stuff with the truck is being slowly fixed as i see fit because it doesnt really affect the vehicle in a negative way for drivability. switching to synthetic and adding some zinc oil additive along with doing a front main seal. and planning on replacing the oil swivel ball sealsd retainers in the front end.

Any performance options out there that i could do to give it a little more juice? already looking at a header back exhaust and a 3" lift kit.

Thanks for the help and let me know if anyone has any thoughts.

MY95

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
368 Posts

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
The first thing I would do is jack up a front wheel and see if you can rotate it. If you can rotate it you have most likely broken something in the front diff area. If you can't rotate it, rock it backwards and forwards and see if you can hear the clunking noise you mentioned. This might highlight where it is coming from. Also keep for any play in the prop shaft uni joints while you are rocking the wheel backward and forward.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
372 Posts
I forsee this thread growing rapidly, as you asked a bunch of things in one post---

But as far as performance options--- Headers may not be worth it. For a 95 in the states, there are only two options, and they should only be used in my opinion if the manifold is un-salvageable. One is by toddco, the other is available on summit racing. Neither look to really improve flow more than the factory manifolds. And neither have oxygen sensor bung's built in, requiring some welding or ECU configuring. Might be more pain than its worth. As far as exhaust--- if you do not have a top end leak (which could sound like a lifter.....) I would do a cat-back magnaflow. Super easy install / MPG gain, decent sound.

There are plenty of lift posts. On that realm its all about what you want to achieve.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts