RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

I know it's near impossible to do a diagnosis without hearing, but I try it anyway ;)

My rangie makes a sound I don't like, when I steer, mostly sharp, mostly to the right, when the vehicle moves because of that (body roll) or uneven ground (4wd) it makes a loud clunk.
It looks like the sound comes from the right front wheel, sometimes it looks like the sound comes from the center (less loud), but it looks like it comes from the front axle..

I had a look 4 times now, but I can't find anything wrong.
I took the wheels off, checked, and did them more tight all bolts from; hub onto carrier, center nut drive shaft, all nuts from all ball joints, steering housing to chassis, steering damper, all seems to be ok..
Shocks look ok too.

All ball joints and shocks and steering damper are only 10.000km old.

I'm running out of ideas...

Anyone who had something like this before?

When I turn the car around on a parking lot, or a round about, when I go slow/smooth, she doesn't do it..

Thanks

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Have you looked at all of the bushings on the suspension? Particularly where it attaches to the frame back by the mufflers?
Those bushings are sandwiched between 2 large washers, so pull off the nut and have a look.
If you do a tight turn, does it clunk once (or multiple times?), and if you stop, reverse, and keep it in the same turn, does it clunk again?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I had a similar clunk a few years back. It was the shock absorber upper mounts - on the rear in my case.

The eyelet in the top of the shock absorber slots into a mount in the chassis with a bolt through it. The sides are a very close fit and when the bolt is tightened up, they deflect inwards a few thou and pinch the eyelet.

I had previously replaced the shocks and I just tightened the bolts manually and it clunked. It was hard to diagnose. When I went back and used a torque wrench with the factory settings, it solved the problem.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you looked at all of the bushings on the suspension? Particularly where it attaches to the frame back by the mufflers?
Those bushings are sandwiched between 2 large washers, so pull off the nut and have a look.
If you do a tight turn, does it clunk once (or multiple times?), and if you stop, reverse, and keep it in the same turn, does it clunk again?
No, just one clunck, when I'm gentle it doesn't clunk at all.

Those big washers you talk about, aren't those really tight? If got a big breaker bar, but I don't think I can make the turn with it..

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a similar clunk a few years back. It was the shock absorber upper mounts - on the rear in my case.

The eyelet in the top of the shock absorber slots into a mount in the chassis with a bolt through it. The sides are a very close fit and when the bolt is tightened up, they deflect inwards a few thou and pinch the eyelet.

I had previously replaced the shocks and I just tightened the bolts manually and it clunked. It was hard to diagnose. When I went back and used a torque wrench with the factory settings, it solved the problem.

Shocks are near new, sound comes from lower.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, I was already starting to think it might have been those bushes, but didn't expect it will produce such a lound noise..
I'm already glad it's nothing critical, mostly anoying..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts