RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
If anybody encounters the same problem, I used to reverse then put the vehicle in drive, step on the gas gently and take off, I hear a clunk, all my suspension is like new, couldn't figure it out, I started thinking that the T-case chain is slipping, but no,and I'm glad I didnt touch the T-case, a while ago I had a whinning noise from the front Diff, ordered one from Scotty(thanks to him), put the unit in, and wham!!, the clunk is gone too :dance:
Now the other problem which I'm still working on: I have a bad engine vibration in idle, being I have no codes, and all the sensors are operating fine,ignition coil fine, put another one no joy, spark plugs and wires OEM new, so I guessed fuel injectors, ordered new set from Dennis(thanks to him), put it in with new filter, 80% of the vibration is gone, a gentle vibration persists in idle,I ordered a new Cat.convertor as the old one started to make some noise on the left side(DAVICO brand) hopefully it is good, what else could it be:
worn camshaft?
bad coolant temp sensor for the computer( not the guage one)? and why the vibration went gentle after changing the fuel injectors? any ideas are appreciated
Zee

·
Registered
211 Posts
Have you checked the motor mounts?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Did you change the fuel filter too?

How's the spark plugs look?

From your first post, if i understand correctly - you changed the front diff, is that what got rid of the clunk? The old one just got sloppy I guess...?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes Chris, the front Diff. was the cause of the clunk, but regarding the engine vibration, it is minimal now after I changed the fuel injectors, and yes I changed the filter and the spark plugs and wires, all OEM parts. I ordered a new Cat.convertor, I'm suspecting the left one is getting clogged, maybe it is not tied to the vibration, I will know when I change it, it is due anyway...thanks
Zee

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hmm. I have a similar clunk, and it's not the U joints. Perhaps I'll swap out the diff too. Thanks for the idea!

I re-read your first post and see you did mention plugs and the filter, sorry about asking about those.

Totally guessing, maybe cleaning the MAF/reset the adaptive values?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Chris,
before u change the front Diff. check this out first cuz this was my symptom: when I reverse, then put the tranny in Drive, and gently want to take off, U feel there is a gap before the truck starts to roll forward, as if there is a half turn gap, then it starts going forward, thats when the clunk kicks in, this was inside the Diff. I don't want U to spend time for nothing, lots of similar clunks with different fixes, u know it is a p38 `)
regarding my truck, the MAF is fairly new, and it doesn't need cleaning, checked it out, thanks for the input, make sure u check what I told u before u take the diff. out, cuz it is a big job. many clunks come from worn upper or lower ball joints, or drag liknk ball joints, I checked all these they were fine, then I changed the front Diff. because it was whinning and I noticed that the clunk is gone, FIXED BY ACCIDENT, not because I was SMART :mrgreen:
good luck on yours
ZEE

·
Registered
541 Posts
LOL...thanks for the advice ZEE. I've sorted (renewed/replaced) most of the front end chasing the "clunk" however I shall heed your advice. There is one ball joint that looks a tad suspect so I'll deal with that first. I understand what you mean about the "gap" after shifting into drive....I'm not sure that's happening so I'll pay close attention and see if that is the case. At any rate, a few more things to add to the "suspects" list.

Best of luck hunting your remaining vibration issue!

·
Registered
517 Posts
You mention a new MAF - was it genuine as non-genuine ones are regularly the cause of problems.

Have you done a compression test to see if all readings are close? You could also pull each plug lead in turn to see if it is one particular cylinder causing roughness.

Do you have access to OBD reader - could try reading live MAF and fuel trim/O2 data to see if this shows anything.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey AMcK,
yeah I checked the lead plugs, all the cylinders seem to work fine, the MAF was not genuine, but was working well for a whlile, had a code once that it is out of range, and I changed it. I am planning on plugging it and reading all the sensors at my friend's garage, I guess I have to, but there is no lights on the dash, but it doesnt hurt to check, u r right :thumb: thanks
ZEE

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Chris,
about the clunk, if u want to check for it in an easy way, let the front wheel hit a curb, then put in neutral, then in Drive, and gas it slowly, see if it is gonna climb on the curb right away, or there is a little gap before it goes forward 8-|=
that clunk used to drive me nuts :shock:
good luck on yours
ZEE

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hey Zee, mine clunks like the brakes are bounded when you go form reverse to drive and back, i have a slight wine and a a bad vibration also a woowoo sound at low speed when you turn the steering wheel from side to side .Had front end checked and was all tight, was told that it was a running gear problem . So sounds like the front diff? I put two P38s one without any front diff noise and mine
jacked up put transfer into nutral and checked transfer VC the only differance was that there was less slops in the rotation back and forward and less clunking noise , so ya think my diff is worn out?
cheers Graeme

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Selby,
see the problem is that a clunk could happen from different things going wrong, and the lucky one would nail it from the first guess, I don't want to sound like I'm an expert and have u spend ur money on something u might not need to be changed, but in my case, there was a wine, and a clunk when u reverse, then want to go forward, and sometimes when I reduce the speed and want to make a turn, then I hear the clunk, I basically changed the front Diff. to get rid of the wine, and I was lucky that the clunk is fixed too. are u sure that the wine is coming from the front Diff? the sound that u were mentioning when u turn could be a wheel bearing, is it when u turn only to one side, or when u turn on both sides? all these questions might narrow down ur probabilities of what it could be, and read above what I posted about the gap in the diff. do u have it?
good luck on ur findings `8)
ZEE

·
Registered
442 Posts
G'day Zee,
Yea its been said that its a wheel bearing ,but the viabration as well maybe also unis or the front diff. I have a very good spare , no slops backlash , pinion and crown still have machine marks so its been rebuilt ,have spare axles and new unis just need to do the change out and see what happens .
Did your test no problems so will work on unis then the RHS wheel bearing ,
Cheers

·
Registered
74 Posts
What was the outcome Selby? I'm interested because in the last week or so I've developed a "clunk" when at speed I let off the gas (say someone touches their brakes ahead of me), then go back to the gas to return to speed. To me it sounds like the clunk is just on the engine side of the radio.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts