Range Rovers Forum banner

Clunk in rear passenger/cargo area

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  383vett 
#1 ·
So I have a clunking noise that is driving me absolutely bonkers! It clunks at the smallest bump and rough road. It sounds like the hatch isn't closed completely but its not the hatch (I drove slowly with the hatch open, noise still there). It seems to be originating from the passenger side and is loud enough it should be evident. I have all of the carpet and panels in the cargo area removed along with the spare tire. I still can't find the source. It is definitely louder with the panel removed. I jacked up the right rear and checked underneath and behind the fender protector in the rear wheel well. I know it a long shot that someone will be able to diagnosis this but I am at a loss. I am still under warranty but I keep reading that the rattles aren't covered after 12k miles. Any thoughts?

Discussion starter · #2 ·
I haven't ruled out that its a suspension part that is just radiating sound into the cargo area. I need to do a thorough check of the sway bar and shock mounts.

Discussion starter · #4 ·
If there is nothing in the interior that you can pinpoint, take it in and tell them it sounds like a suspension issue.
Actually that is a great idea to get it looked at under warranty. Just such a pain to go to the dealer. I always have that "I going to get screwed" feeling. Good thing I am really handy with a wrench for most things.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Thanks Sport17! The sound is exactly like a loose strut in the strut tower but we don't have struts. I checked the nuts on the air bag tower and they are tight. I haven't checked the shock but that would make sense. If that is the case, then its definitely a warranty issue. I have an appointment for a couple of weeks from now (first date with a loaner). I will tell them about your experience.

In the meantime, since I literally have every panel in the cargo area removed. I am going to have someone drive me around while I'm in the back to try to pinpoint the exact location.

On the bright side, while removing all the panels I found that the previous owner left me a brand new oil filer, air filter, serpentine belt, bottle of LR radiator fluid, and a full spare with matching black 20" wheel and new BF Goodrich T/A tire!

Discussion starter · #8 ·
Just the other day, I developed a bit of a creaking/popping sound (not quite a thunk, yet?) that's coming from my the cargo cover crossmember on the passenger side; I'm at just over 5k mi. Since I'm betting it's structural to some non-critical degree, I'd say it could very well be louder (via propagation) if some of your rear cargo area paneling has been removed. I'm betting since you've already got the rear cleared out that the cargo cover's also been removed, but on the chance it's not, maybe give it a whirl without and see if the sound is still there.
Thanks...that was the first thing I checked. I was almost sure that is what it was too. Unfortunately not.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
So I partially solved it. The noise is definitely coming from the rear passenger airstrut. Since I am not familiar with air suspensions I am not exactly sure how to explain it. Basically, the top of what I assume is the shock (stud with the connector) is loose in the top tower mount (silver cup). Every little bump causes the center stud to knock against the tower wall. I don't see an apparent way to "tighten" it up. I presume this means that a new airstrut is probably the only fix. Thoughts?

Attachments

Discussion starter · #10 ·
After looking around on the web, it looks like the whole thing in the picture is the shock absorber assembly. In which case it is definitely not supposed to be moving around in it own shell. Looks like a warranty claim for sure. Seems like something that could affect others.

Discussion starter · #11 ·
Got lucky and found an open spot for service at the dealer this morning. Just got confirmation that the shock is defective and it will be repaired under warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.