RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I've had my (new to me) Range rover for about 4-5 months now (2003 Range Rover HSE - 147,00 miles). A week or so after purchase I noticed a problem with the hood - it appears almost as if the hood just isn't closing/locking all the way when closed. I haven't bothered with it until now because I've been working on other problems, but it's starting to get on my nerves and I feel like it could be an "easy fix". I've attached pics of the driver's side because the difference in space between hood and side piece is barely noticeable, but the driver's side is bad.
To get the obvious question out of the way, I have made sure the hood is fully closed - but I'm fairly new to Range Rovers so I am not sure where to begin on how to fix it
Also, the Carfax report is clean and the selller made clear there was no accident/structural damge to the vehicle so I have ruled that out (although you can't trust people so that may be untrue). If you have any suggestions on how to fix/where to start, please let me know.
rr1.jpg rr2.jpg

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,723 Posts
Have you double checked that nothing was left under the hood? Have you tried lowering the front rubber bumpers for alignment. If you have to lower those you will most likely need to adjust your latch

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
155 Posts
There is something else going on here. The bonnet gap lines to the door top, seem to be dead on, on top. I doubt the front rubber bonnet adjusters out of adjustment are bending the bonnet. I would look at the front of the wing panel/light assy, and bumper first. Also without seeing/looking down the side it's hard to tell. Mine has always be off at the rear of the wing from the bonnet. It always looks like the wing is squeezed in or the bonnet is wider. The gap is good, but looks off to me. no one else has said anything but I can see it. It casts a weird shadow line from the bonnet down to the wing. With the right light I'll figure it out.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,078 Posts
Snap a picture from the front, My 06 hood comes down much closer to that little 45 degree slope on the top of the headlight than yours does, if the gap across the front is off then you will know its one of those little rubber bumpers that needs to be lowered about 3/8" or so. It it doesn't change, something is bent somewhere

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
296 Posts
There is something else going on here. The bonnet gap lines to the door top, seem to be dead on, on top. I doubt the front rubber bonnet adjusters out of adjustment are bending the bonnet. I would look at the front of the wing panel/light assy, and bumper first. Also without seeing/looking down the side it's hard to tell. Mine has always be off at the rear of the wing from the bonnet. It always looks like the wing is squeezed in or the bonnet is wider. The gap is good, but looks off to me. no one else has said anything but I can see it. It casts a weird shadow line from the bonnet down to the wing. With the right light I'll figure it out.
Same on my 2010 - it's a feature. I would run a straight edge down the edge of the bonnet. Is it both sides or just one?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Same on my 2010 - it's a feature. I would run a straight edge down the edge of the bonnet. Is it both sides or just one?

A good start for a baseline as to the straitness of the left side of the hood.

The rear of the hood looks a little "low".

There are two bolts on each upper half of the hood's hinges, which can adjust the "height" of the rear of the hood.

With the hood raised, mark an outline around where the left side's upper half of the hinge's two bolts' washers currently rest.

Take a 13mm socket or a T40 torx driver and loosen one of the bolts about a turn or so (so it's just pinching the hinge lightly).

Loosen the other bolt a little more and close the hood shut.

Using a plastic wedge (or other non-marking tool), pry the rear of the hood upwards to increase the gap between the hood and the fender.

Don't try to get it perfect the first time, just ease it upwards a little at a time until it appears closer to parallel to the fender, while also approximating the upper edge of the front door.

As you raise the rear, you may have to lower the front a little, by screwing in the rubber bumpers on the inside leading edge of the front of the hood (MY2010, am guessing it's the same on your MY).

Rob

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Double check also that the latch part in the panel it is attached to pushes into the hole the hood pin enters so it properly closes over the hood pin nubbin. One of mine got jammed and would not properly encircle the hood pin

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
friont.jpg
This is the front pic of it. I have tried messing with the rubber adjustments but that doesn't seem to do anything

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rivet.jpg windshield.jpg
After investigating further I havenoticed that the rivet holding the hood on is pretty badly damaged. Could this be the cause of the problem?
I also noticed that the actual hood is hitting the base of the passenger side windshield wiper causing the wiper to break. So it seems like the whole alignment of the hood is off or something.
If anyone can let me know what part is needed to replace the rivet/latch thing I can try repairing that

·
Registered
296 Posts
I agree with a prior post that the rear looks low and the front looks normal - now you have posted the previous two photos there's hard evidence of that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Isn't this worn, bent, damaged hinges? Looks Black and white to me. Why would there be paint damage under the hood at the pivoting contact area at the tip of hinge? And why in the world!! Would the hinge be damaged like that. Unless I'm missing the design of the rivet/bushing this just seems obvious. Get brand new hinges & bushings. Perfect condition used do exist and would work. Or maybe I'm wrong but this looks Easy, get hinges.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Actually I'm positive 110 % hinges. If you get new hinges and install/allign bolts just right and it's not instantly 100% cured then the hood must have damage to the shape in mounting areas.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Tough to tell without being there, maybe you can adjust it correctly... Tho did you run a car fax on this, or look at the front of the car for previously repaired damage? Maybe the car got tagged at one point and this is just as close as they could get it. Hopefully all you need to do is adjust it though.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,723 Posts
WOW nothing on the front end is aligned. The grill is taller than the headlights . The corner directional /marker lamps do not line up with the headlights. The driver's head light too large of gap between lens and bumper cover. The passenger headlight is crooked. In the initial two pictures, the bumper cover is not aligned with fender arch.

It may have clean Carfax, but the seller making a point about no accident/structural damage just strikes me as a red flag. Clean Carfax simply means there was no police report or insurance claim filed against that VIN.

I would crawl under and look for any sign of mismatch or fresh paint on the radiator support and forward section of the engine subframe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I shouldn't say he made a point, but I was looking at a few and wanted to make sure that none had been in accidents (I know that can cause severe structural damage), and he said that it had 2 previous owners and neither reported accidents (again, I don't know how honest of an answer that is.
I have looked all around on the inside and cannot find any paint splashes or anything on any of the engine.
The side lights are out of place slightly because they are loose and I haven't replaced them yet, but outside of that, I agree that everything on the hood looks out of place by an inch or so.
I guess I just don't know where to start in order to get everything in order? A new hood?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,723 Posts
The grill alone is sign of something amuck. The grill is taller than the lines of the headlamps. The top crease in the headlights should carry through from the one directional through the edge of the top grill bar and to the other directional. The bottom of the grill should be aligned to carry through with the bottom of the head light assemblies between the wipers. The grill is too tall to do both.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I shouldn't say he made a point, but I was looking at a few and wanted to make sure that none had been in accidents (I know that can cause severe structural damage), and he said that it had 2 previous owners and neither reported accidents (again, I don't know how honest of an answer that is.
I have looked all around on the inside and cannot find any paint splashes or anything on any of the engine.
The side lights are out of place slightly because they are loose and I haven't replaced them yet, but outside of that, I agree that everything on the hood looks out of place by an inch or so.
I guess I just don't know where to start in order to get everything in order? A new hood?
does car fax show any substantial repair, even mechanical that would warrant dismantling the whole front of the car? I don't know why the hood and entire front of the car would be so horribly out of alignment. With the hood down to close that gap towards the front seems like the hood would need to occupy part of where the fender is. If there isn't anything structural going on with it, it may be a question of unbolting a number of things and getting those into alignment before the hood. The fact the hood is taking out your wiper arms seems strange though.

As far as the car getting tagged overspray can be easily enough avoided... I'd look at mounting hardware, fasteners, things of that nature, do they match up? Is there a zip tie or a stainless screw where there should be? Even that chipped up paint up under the hood makes me think something happened to this car. As RRTOADHALL said... just about everything at the front end is out of alignment.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Also in your 3rd pic that shows some of the drivers door... Now it could just be my phone or the way it was photographed, but the front end of the vehicle seems to be a slightly different color than the door. You look at the top line of the door running into the hood, and the bottom line running into the front 1/4... the shade is equally off top to bottom. Also the photo of the underside of the hood, it looks like there was some work done under there. Some spots of weld on the arm, and some previous paint work having come away. I can't tell for sure since I'm going by tiny pics. I know the underside of my hood does not look like that.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts