Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Close call with Intelligent Emergency Braking and Forward Alert system

So far my IEB and Forward Alert system had been working normally until very recently when I nearly rear ended a brand new Jaguar F-type convertible (oh the irony).

I was driving at about 35-45 miles an hour on a minor road when the Jag slowed down in front on me. I am pretty sure it wasn't sudden slowdown. I was momentarily distracted by my kids arguing over and messing with the Audio system and I must have looked away for a second only to find Jag's tail light right up on me. I slammed the brakes hard and slowed down to a whisker's distance from the Jag's rear bumper. The braking was so hard that the kids and I got a nasty jolt.

I have couple of concerns from this incidence and may be I am just mis-understanding how this man-machine interface works (rather like the failure that occurred when one of the airbus crashed when the pilot didn't really understand what the automated computer system would do on his behalf):-

(i) I did not hear the Forward Alert system at all and I am pretty sure it did not go off ...I don't remember seeing the red alert triangle in the dash either but was too much of a shock to pay attention (Which brings up another point about how to increase the volume of forward alert system especially if you have the music blasting).

(ii) The IEB did not seem to work ...as far as I can tell it was my personal reaction and hard/fast foot down on the brakes that slowed the car and not the IEB system - it could have been simultaneous but I could not tell at the time.

(iii) There is no other error/warning that the IEB or FAS not working normally. I have had other FAS alerts since that incidence but seems to be not occurring as frequently as before.

(iv) The Jag was a convertible with its roof down - so I wonder if the low profile of the car confused the IEB and FAS ?

Thoughts ? Similar Experiences ?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Re: Close call with Intelligent Emergency Braking and Forward Alert system

I'm sure IEB will only kick off if your brake wasn't hard enough. There is somewhere in settings you can adjust the volume.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,990 Posts

That's why experienced pilots are only few and all this driving aids are for the you know what.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
297 Posts

Was Forward Alert turned on? It is off by default, and you have to enable it from the menu. An icon then appears in the dash to indicate it is working.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Yes forward alert was on .. green car shows up in the dash. I always leave it on.

·
Banned
305 Posts

forward alert/intelligent braking has a high threshold for applying braking. it depends on many things including rate of accel/decel delta between your car and the one in front. it also depends upon whether your foot is already on the brake when the approach is coming. I believe it will only engage when your foot is not at all on the brake pedal. we have had it go on once and it worked well. although we NEVER expect it to work. just hope it does when we need it to (which should really be NEVER).

further- I did extensive reading on all these emergency braking collision assist things before I ordered that option on our car. the dealer was USELESS. in fact- astoundingly so- this feature has been available a few years yet they still were confused about how it works and what the differences between the features were. emergency brake assist is ALWAYS on. even if the forward collision assist is not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I work for landrover as a technician, from what I have seen IEB only operates when a collision is inevitable to reduce the speed of the vehicle only, it will not stop the car and avoid an accident. This should have been pointed out when you picked up your vehicle from the dealership, The system also goes off if the forward sensor is covered in snow or heavy rain. This is printed in your owners manual.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks Andy....

In my experience with the near collision, I experienced a sudden slow down just before my foot hit the brakes ... so I think you are right...it does not bring the car to a halt, it just drastically reduces the speed allowing you to catch up with you foot response on the brake and letting you do the last second braking to a stop...it really is matter of fraction of a second and that fraction of a second that IEB buys you is supper critical.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts

I work for landrover as a technician, from what I have seen IEB only operates when a collision is inevitable to reduce the speed of the vehicle only, it will not stop the car and avoid an accident. This should have been pointed out when you picked up your vehicle from the dealership, The system also goes off if the forward sensor is covered in snow or heavy rain. This is printed in your owners manual.
Welcome to the forum. Please visit us regularly. We're a friendly bunch.

·
Registered
531 Posts

Thanks Andy....

In my experience with the near collision, I experienced a sudden slow down just before my foot hit the brakes ... so I think you are right...it does not bring the car to a halt, it just drastically reduces the speed allowing you to catch up with you foot response on the brake and letting you do the last second braking to a stop...it really is matter of fraction of a second and that fraction of a second that IEB buys you is supper critical.
Your understanding of IEB is wrong, I got tired of explaining with this terrible forum replay system. I hope someone tells you why.

·
Registered
69 Posts

if nothing else, maybe you learned something about controlling distractions while driving.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,990 Posts

After reading both LRNA and the benchmark MBUSA systems, the LR or your RRS/FFRR should stop you whether you turn it on or off. You probably braked hard but the rig was already doing that?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
222 Posts

It also works if your applying the brake already but with not enough force it will increase the brake pressure itself irrelevant of how much pressure you are applying and how far down the brake pedal is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts