RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past week or so, the climate control blower seems to have stopped working. Even after 20 minutes or so of driving, with engine up to temp, the blower will not operate no matter what mode the CC is in. I have tried the Prog, full fan, econ, auto, and various combos of buttons and turning things on and off. Occasionally the blower will operate at what seems to be normal, but most of the time it is not moving any air.

I have an appointment next week with the dealer, but wanted to see if there is anything else to check. Because of this no air flow, the window tends to fog up a little more. Now I notice that some of the windscreen elements right in front of the driver aren't working, either.

Thanks!

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
I took a look at the climate control section of the workshop manual a while back, but the HVAC system is so complex, it makes your head spin. It could be a variety of things. Jumpy blower relay switch, bad blower control module, faulty blower motor, stuck viscous fan, bad in-cabin control components and temperature sensor... Hopefully the system has a DTC stored for your service dept. to decipher. There is a self-test for the climate control distribution motor and flap you can carry out yourself to see if there may be any errors in the system. The system will also attempt to re-calibrate, so you never know. Worth a shot, anyway (procedure yanked from the workshop manual.)

Distribution motor self-test

The motor and flap operation can be checked using the on-board distribution motor self-test function.

The self-test can be initiated by pressing and holding the ECON and RECIRC buttons while turning the ignition switch to the ON position.

The control module will then compare the current motor position with the values stored in the module and will indicate an error by flashing the ECON LED (light emitting diode).

If there are no errors, the LED will go out and the system will function normally.

To confirm that there are no errors, turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, then back to the ON position.

Observe the operation of the programmed defrost LED.

If there are errors present, the programmed defrost LED will flash and the system will attempt to calibrate itself.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried the Recirc/Econ button test last Monday and the Econ light does blink. The Prog light doesn't blink after cycling power.

Got back to the car in very cold weather after it was sitting at the airport lot for a few days. After 15 minutes of freezing, the blower did kick on for the rest of the trip and did regulate the heat pretty well.

Kind of seems like a connector/sensor bad or a relay sticking.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I had to replace the heating control panel, it went dead and and the blower would only blow air around and not through the vents. Not something you want to happen on a really cold day. Cost $700 for the new panel which was covered under warranty.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE!

UPDATE!
Dealer took a look at it and determined that it's the blower relay. It did act that way, although in the last few days it's been working fine.

However, while it didn't work the windshield would fog up in snow or rain. Using the line defrost there were a bunch of lines directly in front of me(driver) that weren't working. I really had to look around them to see out. The dealer claimed yesterday they don't see a problem. I described it as: approx the left 2 inches from the edge of the lines don't work and another strip of about an inch starting another 1 inch from the previous lines. Just trying to describe where the issue is happening. They call back and say, right, there aren't any lines on the edge of the windshield and it's working as normal. WHAT? So they are going to look more close(at all?) this morning. Don't they have a way to test this?? We had 2 windshields replaced on the Disco because of this.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Two windshields replaced for bad lines? Had my P38 for 6 years and never had that problem, hope I don't get it on the RRS. Thinking about your original problem, there is a delay in the blower turn-on that won't turn it on until the coolant reaches a certain temperature. This is so not to blow cold air into the cold car. If you have a stuck open thermostat, or low coolant, it will take a long time for the engine to reach the blower turn on temperature. Did you happen to notice if the temp gauge was still low when the blower did not work? Thermostats can get intermittently temperamental.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts