RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any idea what this clicking noise is? It’s kind of hit or miss when it happens. I hear it only on idle.

Thanks

·
LEGACY VENDOR
790 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope no supercharger. I shut it off after the video and came back about 3 hours later started it up and no noise at all. Pulled it into my garage and it sounded fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A little more information. Its a 2012 RRS HSE. Has about 62k on it. I started it up this morning to take my kid to school and it sounded fine no clicking. It was about a 5-7 mile drive and I still didn't hear anything. Went to the gym about 4 miles away and it was fine again. When I left the gym I started it up and heard the clicking noise. I started driving back home about 7-10 miles and didn't hear it again. Pulled into my driveway and it sounded fine. Its kind of baffling when this noise happens.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It's really difficult to tell from all the competing sounds, wind, etc. I did hear what might be the electric fan ticking. This is a known issue and is an early sign you'll need to replace the fan. The best way to listen for it and record video evidence, is to leave the hood closed and listen through the grill. It will be a rhythmic tick that is unrelated to throttle movement. Ours began making the sound earlier this past winter, then it stopped one day and I haven't heard it since. I found a decent deal on ePay so I went ahead and bought a replacement. They usually run about $400-$500. I read on these boards that if left unchecked, additional damage/wear may occur to the cooling system, but I cannot confirm that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's really difficult to tell from all the competing sounds, wind, etc. I did hear what might be the electric fan ticking. This is a known issue and is an early sign you'll need to replace the fan. The best way to listen for it and record video evidence, is to leave the hood closed and listen through the grill. It will be a rhythmic tick that is unrelated to throttle movement. Ours began making the sound earlier this past winter, then it stopped one day and I haven't heard it since. I found a decent deal on ePay so I went ahead and bought a replacement. They usually run about $400-$500. I read on these boards that if left unchecked, additional damage/wear may occur to the cooling system, but I cannot confirm that.
Thanks this is definitely helpful. It does seem to be rhythmic and doesn't change with throttle movement. I was worried that it may be the timing chain, but I believe that is more of a rattle sound than a constant clicking. I had it in to an Indy dealer about 2 months ago and they said they didn't hear anything concerning with the timing chain, but I guess you never know.

·
Registered
475 Posts
On my 13 HSE, it was the mechanical fuel pumps.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeah, DI fuel pumps make it sound a little bit like a diesel on idle but RPM unrelated clicking I had experienced is more common to a cold time of the year and was resolved to replacing a FAN clutch. It would appear when truck started after cold night on the driveway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It’s been about a week since I’ve heard the clicking. It’s also been much colder here as well. I drove it this morning and all was fine. I went to get an oil change at a local place and started hearing the noise again.

I got a little better video this time:

https://youtu.be/6cx9teoSCu4

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
5 Participants
perikson7
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing