RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize in advance - I’m sure there are numerous threads that cover this issue but I’m unsure how to post directly to older threads.
‘11 RRS 69,000 miles - I’m getting a rhythmic ticking/clicking from my engine compartment when idylling - it comes and goes but has gotten worse over time. It seems to be related one of the belts. I’m hoping someone has heard this exact noise and can tell me what I need to repair/replace. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Mine was in the shop two days ago and was making a weird tick noise ended up being the water pump and pully. Could also be the timing chain and tensioners also. A video could help us as there are many types of noises that are associated with this engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have 2011 RR SC. Not sure if you have same engine. I have had similar noise and was told that it was super charger. I started to see antifreeze shortly thereafter and changed my water pimp and much of noise went away but still have SOME ticking that seems to absolutely be SC related.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
802 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
*Update*
As it turns out Water pump it is. My mechanic noted that the pulley/tensioner was newer as it had a sticker on it. Any suggestions prior to getting this fixed? Advice? Anything else I should address while it’s in?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheerio - exact same sound. Then it eventually had a grinding/metallic noise along with the rhythmic knocking.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Travis, thanks for confirming, what was the time period between that sound and the grinding.? and around ball park figure to repair if you don't mind me asking.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not long - couple weeks roughly. I was quoted $900 for the water pump/gaskets/line kit. Let me know what you find out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
*updated*
New pump installed w/ line kit and gaskets. Total $830. Tech said fan clutch/pulley appeared new. Didn’t recommend new belts.

·
Registered
91 Posts
EXACT same noise appears on a good # of these ... that slow rhythmic clicking you are hearing. Let me guess...

1) Worse when it's really cold outside
2) Does it come and go... fade away, then come back

Based on what I heard in the video -- If so -- it's the fan clutch/pulley whatever it's called for the engine fan. Honestly I wouldn't worry about it, mine has been doing it for 60 K miles, and all is well.

(PS and I had a water pump replaced, and supercharger nose cone, and timing chains/tensioners all redone. This noise persisted)

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Just saw your YouTube video. Mine does the same, has been for many years. I just had the water pump done a few weeks ago (leaking, and had a different pulley grinding sound to it), so I think its definitely related to the fan clutch/pulley. I've brought it up many times to my dealer and they say "well, we can't find anything wrong".

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nash - Dan, funny to read your posts as I was coming on here to update that I still hear it. $900 later still there. Could be worse but nonetheless frustrating. I can see the pulley/clutch it’s newer without question. SMH

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Range Rover MkIII / L322
788 Posts
I recently swapped my fan with a spare I had, due to the same ticking noise. When I removed the fan and compared it to the one I was fitting I found the resistance on the viscous unit to be the same on both. I was surprised as I expected the original to be very loose which would have partly explained the ticking issue.

I had noticed that when the engine was cold the fan was spinning very slowly - slow enough to stop with my fingers :shock:. (I would not advise trying to stop the fan like this unless you are very brave). It did speed up once up to temperature though when the electronic portion of the viscous unit was activated. In a hot climate such as mine the effect of this slow spinning fan was very noticeable when the car was stationary. The air conditioning did not blow cold air initially due to the fan not being able to provide sufficient air flow through the A/C condenser. Once the car started moving the cooling improved due normal airflow and once the viscous engaged electronically all was normal even when stationary.

Once the replacement fan was fitted I noticed it was very stiff and was difficult to spin by hand which was odd as I had tested it before fitting. So I investigated further and found that the fan cowling/shroud was not aligned correctly which caused the fan outer edge to bind on the "brush" which is fitted around the inner edge of the shroud to provide a closer tolerance for better fan efficiency. I was unable to align the shroud correctly so I did the next best thing and removed the "brush". Once assembled the ticking was no longer there and the brush removal has had no noticeable effect on the engine cooling. It may make a difference if the car is being used off road or in very high temperatures but for normal use it appears to be fine. I will have another go to line everything up when I have the time but the fix works for now.

So I would suggest checking the fan when the engine is cold and not running to see if the turning resistance is too high. You may have the same snag that my car had and it may be the cause of many of the fan ticking problems that appear on the forums. I can only assume that a new fan can overcome this binding or the fan shroud gets fitted correctly during the replacement job.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just an update - I brought my ‘11 RRS in yesterday to have the fan serviced. Last thing I want is to have something fail because of a fan issue. They said it’s not fan related and it’s in the engine. But posts on this thread indicate it’s w/o question the fan clutch/pulley. The noise is exactly as it is in Cheerios video. If I were to go to an Indy shop what do I need to tell them to replace? I just want this fixed and I feel like I’m getting better info here than at the dealership.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
516 Posts
Have you tried disconnecting the fan or removing the fuse to see if the noise stops?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I’ll do that in the am before I start it. It typically is more prominent on first start after it Iidylls down.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Travis did it sound like this..? https://youtu.be/LagxbEXrf1M that was mine yesterday...
Both my 2011 LR4 and 2013 RRS both with 5.0L V8 have this periodic click when outside temp is very cold, (single digits F / -15C+/-). Thanks for the video/sound, that helps to confirm it is the same. That periodic click is distinctly different from worn timing tensioners, worn water pump, etc. I think we can safely consider this to be a "feature".

Again, thanks for the video capturing the sound.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
*UPDATE* So the issue is still not resolved and I’m in another $3700 through the dealer. The ticking noise persists after Land Rover Scarborough Maine had the vehicle for a full week. After showing the video to the service manager He said it sounded like the fan. After the dial he came back and said it was the timing chains that it would be roughly $7000 all said and done. Once they started the strip down of the engine they determine the chains were tight and that it was the air intake manifold causing the ”ticking” - that this was good news as it would only be $3200. After the transmission hoses were replaced and the four-wheel service done I was out the door at $3700. The very next time I start of the vehicle up it was ticking just the way it was when I brought it in. I don’t want to be a trouble customer but I also want my vehicle fixed. Any advice from any of you out there that have more experience than I. It’s going back to the dealer this week I just need to know what to tell them and how I should handle this

1 - 20 of 21 Posts