RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced this on their truck? Is this the clearcoat peeling? It doesn’t look as bad in person as it does in the photos, but I’m concerned it will spread! Please advise.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yup, looks like its peeling. Not sure what you can do to prevent it spreading.

On good paint, a polish now and then and a coat of good wax/sealant will stop it happening in the first place. Your paint looks to be in pretty bad shape (unfortunately can't really help it when 4wding though :( )

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,410 Posts
Pressure washing the car with the jet too close can do this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi I run my own bodyshop & sorry to say it may well spread, the most likely cause is down to the manufacturing process, the vehicle my have been left idle, ie between shifts or overnight
this would allow the basecoat to over harden, and like all uk! car makers it would not have been
repreped, but put straight back into the system, for clearcoat.

clear over base requires the base to be quite fresh when the clear is applied,
as it softens the base slighty and forms a good bond.

the other possible cause is a bad respray, again bad prep.

if this is the case you will notice base & clear coming away together.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
So can't you sand lightly with 1000 0r 2000 wet day and then spay some clear over the affected area? Please understand I'm asking, i have a small area on the rear corner of the rangi doing the same thing..

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Scotty
In answer to your question it is possible but if you dig too deep into the base you may change the colour shade !!!!!!!!!!!!.

also with problem you may find the old clear lifts or even wrinkles.

if you try put the new clear on in dry coats first, allow to flash off first then build with wet coats letting flash off inbetween

good luck hope it works for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts