RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

A coupe of things...

I've searched and couldn't find what anything so here goes.

I can hear a slight metallic rattle under load that appears to go away when you hit higher revs or as my guess, when oil gets pumped up to higher pressure. It's just had engine flush, oil, filter and PCV filter and it still persists. Is this just one of those noises associated with this engine or signs of a hydraulic lifter issue etc?

While hunting around under the bonnet I found the clear inline filter isn't attached to anything, is this the fuel line for the aux fuel heater on these and any reason it wouldn't be connected?

There's also what appears to be a vacuum hose or similar not attached towards the back of the engine block on the right hand side when looking at it from the front, any clues?

Just trying to make sure the vehicle has everything attached it should do or know of any work arounds/fixes/bodges that have been done it the past so I can keep on top of it.

Thanks again for all your help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think the clear filter is some kind of crankcase or gearbox breather. It shouldn't be conneed to anything. the pipe at the back of the engine could be from the top of the gearbox. I remember seeing one there last week when I was swapping out my starter motor.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
758 Posts
The clear filter is the breather for the turbo solenoid valve and must remain open. Likewise the other pipes must be open and are most likely the gearbox or transfer gearbox breathers.

Cant really comment on the engine noise but these engines do get noisy due to dirty injectors. I have had great success using a good quality injector cleaner which gets added to the fuel but is very slow acting so may need a few tankfuls before the cleaning effect becomes noticeable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies!

Will try out the injector cleaner which is always a good idea anyway, got a log run coming up so we shall see what it sounds like at the end of that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts