RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three weeks back I found my 06 RRS Vesuvius had clear coat coming off the roof between the rails from the windscreen back. Land Rover decided to cover it under warrently :) It was supposed to be out Friday, but I got no call, so I went to see what was happening today. Apparently they decided to repaint the troubled portion of the roof and masked the outside portions of the roof (outside the rails) and paint inside the rails. When they removed the masking paper and tape - clear coat came off the remaining unpainted sections of the roof with the masking materials. Now the whole roof needs repainting. Wonder if the whole car needs repainting?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,470 Posts
Re: Clear coat (A funny thing happened after the paint booth)

Must be all that acid rain you are getting in Dallas.

My friends Vesuvius in Houston has no peeling at all. :D :D :D

·
Registered
40 Posts

Hoosier, I posted in your other post before. My 2006 RRSSC, same color, same thing. I took it in to LR South Bay last Monday like you did, and they gave it back to me on Friday (5 days). They painted the entire roof. The job was decent, though when you inspect the weathersripping, you can see some areas where they did a bad masking job. Not all areas, just some. I might take it back to get the weatherstipping done too, at their cost.

But overall, it is decent. Nothing compared to what you are going through. Yes, they should repaint yours properly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I suspect there may be other Vesuvius vehicles that went through the paint process at the same time that are experiencing the same issues.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

Hoosier said:
I suspect there may be other Vesuvius vehicles that went through the paint process at the same time that are experiencing the same issues.
Could it be possible the vehicle was repainted in that area previously? Even if new, there could have been damage in transit that was repaired locally. I know the Port of Newark has a whole paint/body shop area where cars go through when they come off the boat. You just don't know sometimes, even when you buy a new car. http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/94-896.ZO.html
There's a small spot on my car that looks like it was touched up at one point, and I bought mine new.

I would suggest testing various spots and comparing w an un-repainted area near the peeling using a paint thickness meter.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts

Hoosier said:
Ruh roh.

·
Banned
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
890 Posts

Hi all...

So on top of all the vibration issues I'm having with my MY08 RRSSC ( Alaska white) , my rear bumper clear coat is pealing off now.... this truck is just a boat load of problems. I left a message for some excutive admin that called me, and I told her in the message, that I don't want to hear anything but " a new truck exact same color white on black leather, and loaded with everything but rear entertainment system ( i'm a single guy, don't need it ) is being ordered and shipped to Land Rover Bedford".

No response yet... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

·
Banned
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
890 Posts

hehehe , not at all :wink: :dance: :thumb:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Just so you know, they repainted the roof last year - now the bonnet is having the same problem. Clear coat is lifting off the base coat. Service manager says the versuvius orange sports were pulled from the line and painted special.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts

Clearly you people are not putting the required amount of "maintenance work" into your automotive finish and that is the reason you're having trouble.

·
Registered
15 Posts

RoverfreakNH said:
........loaded with everything but rear entertainment system ( i'm a single guy, don't need it )....
You should still get it. It's fun to sit in the driveway and watch movies. Kinda like going to an old-time drive-in theater. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts

Drevs said:
Clearly you people are not putting the required amount of "maintenance work" into your automotive finish and that is the reason you're having trouble.
For the love of God man, what are you doing to that poor thing? :shock:

Granted, my RRS is a garage queen, but still - that truck is a limited edition paint job. It's a collector's item! I hate to say this, but I may have to take that away from you. :twisted:

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts

Drevs said:
Sheeet. Mine looks like that without the dust/dirt... :crybaby2:

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

Drevs, that should buff out with some 000 steel wool which gives it a rather unique matte Vesuvius look.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts

gooseyloosey said:
Drevs, that should buff out with some 000 steel wool which gives it a rather unique matte Vesuvius look.
Careful, in a few years I may just do that!

It actually looks a lot worse right when you get back from wheelin and the dust highlights the branch scratches. Once you get the thing washed, it looks better.... but this latest trip was actually pretty hard on the paint. I bought a buffer and it took it down each side; it made a world of difference. Either way, it's just a truck. I think I'd feel pretty poseur if it didn't have any offroadin body damage.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I knew I was not alone! I too have one of the 06 Vestuvious orange turbo sports. And my roof paint is peeling off in big sections. I called Range Rover, they told me to go to the dealer, who in turn sent me to their painter for a quote. I sent that quote with photos etc to Range Rover, after a few weeks they replied with a big fat NO HELP FOR YOU response. I think they need a CLASS ACTION. WHO IS IN? I have the attorney who will help us This is not right. A $100,000 car should last longer than 6 years. Mercedes and BMW's do. And we need to tell the world

·
Registered
3 Posts

Same thing here!! 2006 Vesuvious. Clearcoat peeling from the roof and hood in big peices. Bought the car in Houston, drove it back to Canada and it started peeling 2 years ago.. Dealer said it must have been repainted before I bought it. I agree LR should be held accountable

1 - 18 of 18 Posts