RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I read somewhere late last night that the RRC was hand assembled. Given some of the engineering that kinda made sense. I was wondering if anybody else had read that. I'd like to know how many people and how many man-hours it took to make one.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
What do you mean by hand-assembled? Was it on an ebay listing as a seller's excuse for an absolute shed of a car?

They were made on a production line.
There were some robots, but mostly people in the manner of most other car plants.

·
Administrator
27,795 Posts
:mrgreen: very good point

Almost every rig on the face of the earth can be called hand assembled. It is simply a matter of % of hand vs machine used in the assembly. :geek:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I came across the comment on a landrover site somewhere in reference to its exclusivity and cost. I'm sure robotics play a part but the engineering does seem to be the less automated more labor intensive kind. I was really interested to know how much is really hand work by people. How many people does it take to assemble a RRC and how long? Im really familiar with Japanese engineering and its very compartmentalized in large stages so theyre easy to make and service. This is definetly not the case with my 92 RR county so the "hand assembled" makes some sense. Just the classics though, Ive read all the newer models are slapped together by corporate types in 30mins or less! :dance:

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
if you're going to talk about engineering/design/maintenance then you have to remember that the Classic was designed in the late 60s and built on the same line for 26 years.
You'd have to look to Japanese cars of the early 70s if you want a fair comparison.

LRO had a series for Factory Gate articles in the early 90s, I reckon the answer to your man hours question is there.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
84 Posts
I couldn't find info on the RRC, but did find this for a 2nd and 3rd gen RR.

The vehicle panels are assembled by the use of no less than 123 robots, each providing 6,350 welds for every vehicle.

For 50 years Land Rover has been building vehicles in Solihull, England. And from the outside, it's like nothing's changed; however, with $300 million of BMW monies, everything inside is completely new. Building each vehicle, essentially by hand, is now a thing of the past.
Where two robots (R2-D2 and C-3P0? Just kidding!) helped build the previous Range Rover (P38A), close to 130 robots are now responsible for production, assembly, and quality control.

L322 (Gen 3).
In body shop: six hours
Paint shop: 12 hours
Final assembly: 16 hours
TOTAL time to build car: 24 hours

One car falls off assembly line every 5.46 mins
130,000 cars planned for this year (2002).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts