RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put a couple crossbars on my ‘93 LWB using Thule rain gutter mount feet. They come in a few sizes- I want to go as low as possible. The two options are a 5” rise and a 8” rise. Has anyone had luck/clearance with the lower foot?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Mine is a little older version
More like 6 inches
I have a wind deflector on my sunroof an it clears easily
And the bar is like between 64 and 65 inches

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
My first post, finally something I can help someone with as I recently acquired my 2 owner '95 LWB (noob status). I just went through much research trying to find which ones people are putting on their RRCs and wasn't able to find any definitive solutions. I too, did not want a goofy look of being too high off roof, yet was concerned about roof clearance with the slight crown our roof has on these RRCs. I rolled the dice and purchased the shortest ones and they are perfect.
Details:
Amazon-Thule 300 Roof Rack Gutter Mount Foot Pack (Low)
Amazon-Thule LB78 Roof Rack Load Bars (78-Inch, Set of 2)
Process- You will need to trim the ends of the bars appx. 8" on each side depending on what look you want. I used a Hackzall to make easy work of it while they were mounted.
$300 all in, killer rack system.

Hope this helps!

Patrick

IMG_2129.jpg
IMG_2139.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! That was exactly what I needed.

Now I have a complication because there is a guy locally that will fab up crossbars for about the same price as the Thule setup. The benefit would be he uses a wider foot/base to spread the load out more.

·
Registered
330 Posts
You could use 3 or 4 crossbars if you really need to spread out the load. I have 4 because they came on it when I bought her. PO had a basket rack attached.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well said Kevin, exactly my thoughts.
OP, my vote is still for the Thule set up:
-get em tomorrow in the mail
-guaranteed product
-cross bars wrapped in heavy duty rubber, will yours have to be powder coated?
-will your fabbed set up have feet that efficiently and safely (your paint) attach ?

just some things to consider ��good luck keep us posted!
Patrick

·
Registered
13 Posts
Forgot to mention, I was amazed at how stout the square bars are. Engineered obviously to hold a lot of weight, I could not create any flex when testing across my thigh or even leaning on them with my body weight after they were installed. If you go the thule route perhaps try only two at first and add more later if needed.
Patrick

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like thule makes a 60” crossbar- if you have a second, would you measure between the feet to see if that crossbar is long enough? Or maybe measure between the outside of the feet to see what the minimum length of crossbar would be?

Thanks again!

Scott

I want to put a couple crossbars on my ‘93 LWB using Thule rain gutter mount feet. They come in a few sizes- I want to go as low as possible. The two options are a 5” rise and a 8” rise. Has anyone had luck/clearance with the lower foot?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like thule makes a 60” crossbar- if you have a second, would you measure between the feet to see if that crossbar is long enough? Or maybe measure between the outside of the feet to see what the minimum length of crossbar would be?
Thanks again!
Scott

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Crap. Was on mobile and images didn’t show up. You guys answered my question before I asked it.
Scott

·
Registered
48 Posts
Don't assume that a wider spread of the mounting feet is a stronger design. The more space between the feet, the less force it takes to bend the crossbar in between them. I have a Thule setup on my Discovery and spread between the feet is so wide that the bar has deformed slightly over time.

I use Yakima 1A raingutter towers on my RRC and that setup works well. The contact area between the towers and the gutter is not as long as that on the Thule, but this has not been a factor as I rarely put more than 160 pounds on the roof (including the weight of the rack and its components).

It's also worth looking locally on craigslist for used rack components. Thule and Yakima are well made and hold up over time (unless in a salty environment), so it's possible to get a good condition setup for relatively cheap. I got my Yakima setup for $60 (towers and bars). Then you have more cash left over to spend on the other repairs/upgrades that are inevitable.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I probably mis-typed but the wider feet I was referring to was the contact area on the tower itself. The custom made towers had about 3” more contact area on the rain gutter.

I ended up buying a used tower/crossbar setup (Yakima 1a) locally for about a hundred dollars. The Yakima towers are about an inch higher than the Thule but that worked out perfect as I wasn’t counting on the RTT attach hardware using up so much height.

Don't assume that a wider spread of the mounting feet is a stronger design. The more space between the feet, the less force it takes to bend the crossbar in between them. I have a Thule setup on my Discovery and spread between the feet is so wide that the bar has deformed slightly over time.

I use Yakima 1A raingutter towers on my RRC and that setup works well. The contact area between the towers and the gutter is not as long as that on the Thule, but this has not been a factor as I rarely put more than 160 pounds on the roof (including the weight of the rack and its components).

It's also worth looking locally on craigslist for used rack components. Thule and Yakima are well made and hold up over time (unless in a salty environment), so it's possible to get a good condition setup for relatively cheap. I got my Yakima setup for $60 (towers and bars). Then you have more cash left over to spend on the other repairs/upgrades that are inevitable.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sounds like you made out well. Hope that setup does everything you need.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts