RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 1989 Classic, and am looking for some help with the wiring. A previous owner who I think should have left well alone had added some aftermarket switches, and may have messed a few things up.
Specifically:
1. The Cigar lighters, and gear select stick (automatic) seem to be on the same green and black wiring loom. Neither work. All fuses are good. One day the lights on the gear select stick came on, so I pushed the lighter in to see if this was now working. This blue a fuse (oddly the one marked as ‘electric windows’). I replaced the fuse, but the lights and the lighters are no longer working again.
2. Rev-counter/Tachometer. This works intermittently, although it bounces around, and never seems to quite give the right reading ( I think my revs are higher than the rev-counter shows). Sometimes when the ignition is off, I can flick the main light switch and the rev-counter will bounce up to 2k rpm. Turning the lights off, and the rev-counter drops to zero.
I had most of the under dash off yesterday trying to track these problems down, as they seem to be caused by a short or touching wires of some sort, but I couldn’t see anything obvious, does anyone have any pointers of where to begin?
Thanks,
James

·
Registered
345 Posts
start by finding a wiring diagram,one comes with the owners manual,or use shop manual, these two books are indespensible. Then start at the battery,fusable links, and alternator wiring. The lead for tach is on the alternator,white wire I think. Solving intermitent elec problems is usually a matter of jiggling wires and seeing what is loose.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts