RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I brought my RRC back to life after buying it in sorry shape 4 years ago with the suspension on the bump stops and water in the oil. The engine was straight forward with head gaskets and a good tune up. The EAS has been a little more challenging!

The history: I put all new bellows under it after inspection proved they were all rotted. I researched the system and downloaded Ron Storeys awesome reset tool (Thanks Ron!) for Classics and made a cable to connect with the EAS ECU to clear all of the codes. With a few hiccups, got her up off the bump stops. I Had a few codes after that and swapped sensors from side to side to correct that issue. I then proceeded to enjoy riding on air for several years. LOVE it!

Now: I had a hard fault that put me on the bumps for the first time in years. I cleared the fault and she worked fine. Then I noticed that it was working a bit slower and the compressor was running longer and longer. Then I was back on the bumps and when reset the compressor made a terrible clatter. I removed and disassembled the compressor to find the seal gone and the piston and sleeve badly damaged. I ordered up a new compressor, installed it in the box, removed the valve body and cleaned and inspected it.
When I fired it back up it started acting strange and only raised up the right side. The left side stays on the bumps. No codes. No leaks. I am suspecting the valve control unit has gone bad. What do you guy's think?

Sorry this got so long..........

·
Registered
101 Posts
As you have not had a reply yet, I will give you my thoughts...bearing in mind I haven't done much to my EAS yet!

I does sound like your valve block is not working. Could it be electrical after unplugging the cables rather than mechanical within the valves themselves? I would be taking the block out again and restripping it.

Can you get the left side to come up using the EAS software? If not and there are no new fault codes then it points to the EAS ECU not communicating with the valve block solenoids for the left side doesn't it?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Duncmc, Thanks for at least trying. I have been frustrated with our lack of EAS help over the years.........

You got me thinking again so last night I went out to the garage to do some more diagnostics. I thought about what you said about getting it to go up with the software and decided that even more telling than that would be to try to inflate the individual corners by jumpering the EAS ECU connector. The first thing I found was that the battery was dead. Probably form trying to self level for 48 hours AND the hood (Bonnet to you) was up and the light was on. So, I hooked up the battery charger, set it on HIGH and I jumpered 8 & 1 (in case you don't know, 8 is the compressor & 1 is the power lead) and let the compressor run for about 5 minutes. Then, I jumpered 26,28,11 & 1 (26 & 28 being the L & R rear airbags 11 being the inlet valve) and...........nothing. Bummer. I tried JUST the RR corner and nothing...... I decided that 1. Either the valve body was so messed up that the compressor was not filling the tank at all or 2. RRC's being so electrically weird (sorry but I HATE Lucas Ltd's wiring) that with the system not completely charged the jumpering was not working the way it should. SO, tonight when I got home from making sure that your Facebook page is able to deliver it's content (my job) I disconnected the positive lead to the battery and connected the charger. Tomorrow being Saturday, I will try once again to jumper the Solenoids to raise the 'Rover off of it's bumps. That should tell me if it's the ECU, the Solenoids or the Valve block control unit.

Cheers & carry on!

·
Registered
101 Posts
That seems like a good plan.

Good luck!

I haven't done much too mine at all yet, other than clear fault codes and pump it up. I am currently still welding, which I wanted to finish before fitting new bellows. Then I do need to fix any air leaks so that it stays level whilst I swap the engine which has the slipped liner issue. I will also rebuild the valve block and pump as well. My car has been off the road since sometime in 2010 and I am slowly rebuilding it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE:

The testing done with jumpers on the ECU connector has confirmed that it is NOT the valve body controler but the valve body itself. Parts have been ordered for a rebuild.

Carry on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts