RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read through 500 threads and I think I found my answer in 1 but I wanted to confirm- will any classic auto-tranny fit in any classic? They are all HP22 correct? Specifically, will a '94 LWB fit in an '89 (only SWB those years?) Or easily? eg. bellhousing change or similar.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
87 to 95 range rover, 94 to 97 discovery 1, 94 to 97 defender are all 4hp22 and will be a straight fit on to a classic. electronic units from 99 to 04 disco 2, 96 to 2002 p38 zfhp22"E" and zfhp24"E" will fit as a direct bolt on as well but they need a cumpushift aftermarket electronic controller to operate correctly, furthermore the zf24 needs the donor torque converter and flexplate.

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
455 Posts
1990 - 1994 v8 disco would also fit.

Important.. you can't fit diesel boxes to a v8 and vice versa, the torque converters and bell housing are different.

Defender with auto box? That would be a conversion. I have seen one converted for an elderly person and it was dead slow

Enviado desde mi SM-A720F mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
1990 - 1994 v8 disco would also fit.

Important.. you can't fit diesel boxes to a v8 and vice versa, the torque converters and bell housing are different.

Defender with auto box? That would be a conversion. I have seen one converted for an elderly person and it was dead slow

unfortunately or fortunately depends on whether one likes a diesel or not, we did not get factory diesels this side of the pond and asides from 94-95 defenders which were manuals all our stuff in the us came auto v8 including 96-97 defender, thus the different trans and engine may not apply. with so many conversions taking place now a days, it is good info to learn.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent! Thanks for the quick replies! I thought it would work but just wanted to double check. I'm trying to save one from the scrap yard. Hopefully I'm not too late.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
unfortunately or fortunately depends on whether one likes a diesel or not, we did not get factory diesels this side of the pond and asides from 94-95 defenders which were manuals all our stuff in the us came auto v8 including 96-97 defender, thus the different trans and engine may not apply. with so many conversions taking place now a days, it is good info to learn.
Really? Defenders that were factory fitted with auto boxes? That certainly must have been a special request. I really do believe you.. but there isn't even such a model in the parts catalogue

I am on the same side of the pond as you are, and apart from the one I saw with the td5 disco auto box fitted to a 300tdi I can assure that they have been neither heard of in Central America or Brazil (I actually asked my friends in a LR garage in São Paulo right now)

So if I understand correctly you had neither the VM or 200tdi or 300tdi Rangies?

These 200tdi 2 doors and even the 4 doors go for silly money in France now. My 200tdi is home made using a Discovery engine, we changed the primary shaft of the v8 . It has 500 thousand msb now so I can safely say it is a good engine.

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
Defender with auto box? That would be a conversion.
Not at all correct. Many of the Defenders for the NAS market were supplied with auto tranny's either as dealer stock or as optional orders. There really is nothing special about an auto Defender over here.

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
Yup... sad that it took so very long to finally get diesels... then it was only the turbo 6. Fingers crossed we move up a couple cylinders in the future. :)

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Does anybody have the faintest idea why? Is it illegal in the US to have a normal gearbox ? Or a diesel engine?

It just seems totally weird to me as 90%.of Defenders were diesel and probably 99% manual. I have asked today some folks who have been many years in the Land Rover trade here and like in Europe, nobody has ever seen an automatic gearbox as factory provided in a Defender.

We have many ex US discos here, you recognise them easily because the have some sticky side repeater in the bumper and a canister under the bonnet.

Those are all v8 auto.

What about Rangies? Were they all fitted with auto boxes?

Surely the 2 doors weren't?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Does anybody have the faintest idea why? Is it illegal in the US to have a normal gearbox ? Or a diesel engine?

It just seems totally weird to me as 90%.of Defenders were diesel and probably 99% manual. I have asked today some folks who have been many years in the Land Rover trade here and like in Europe, nobody has ever seen an automatic gearbox as factory provided in a Defender.

We have many ex US discos here, you recognise them easily because the have some sticky side repeater in the bumper and a canister under the bonnet.

Those are all v8 auto.

What about Rangies? Were they all fitted with auto boxes?

Surely the 2 doors weren't?
Rangies were only sold in higher spec with basically every option in the US. All V8 EFI, all auto, and no two doors (even people in the UK weren't buying those anymore). Between 1987 and 1992 they could however be ordered with (electric or manual) cloth seats, no sunroof and an ABS\sway bar delete after they became standard.

The first Defenders came in 1992, 110s with only a 3.9L V8 and 5-speed manual. The next two years it was replaced by the 90 that was also 3.9 V8 5-speed only. For the final year of importation in 1997 an option for the 4-speed auto was added along with the newer GEMS 4.0 V8. The Discovery also only came with a V8 but unlike the Rangie did have a manual transmission option, maybe 5% of all Discos sold have them.

The 90\110 were imported as novelty vehicles, but otherwise Land Rover was establishing itself as a luxury brand. Manual transmissions and diesels are counterproductive to that here in the states.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Thank you.. that throws some light on it. Your excellent write up tells me they were really picking for the raisins Since you are really a good historian, could you fill the gaps.

I know they had series 2 and 3 in the US.
Did they have the 109 v8 then and which models of 90-110 -127 or 130 did they sell before it was called Defender?
And EFI being introduced by the end of 1986, they must have had the Stromberg or SU carburettor version before that? In both Rangies and LRs? Or did they sell the 2.5 four cylinder petrol engine with the big Webber carb in the 110s?

A bit of RR history from the old country...
2 doors were sold in France and Italy till the end of 1993, a lot of them as 200tdi. Yes they are pure luxury, hence I couldn't find one @ a reasonable price and had to make my own.
You are right, one of my ex employees who owned a snobbish MGB, which would reliably start if it felt like it, used to refer to my Rangie as tractor.
If she was sufficiently sprinkled with mud I would reply.. no this is a luxury car. :D yours is boy racers

Maggie my pet Rangie now has more than 500 thousand kms, I guess that and the 11kms to the litre explains why they were so popular in Europe.

My next project is a 1972 Rangie, I have found a good period engine from 1974. After that it will be a drag to find the missing bits of the interior and the lights.

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
Annette you are steering this way off topic. The OP is in the US with an NAS petrol spec vehicle. 95classic gave an accurate response that included the Defender auto as it was the same transmission over here. There is no need to mention Defender diesels nor that 99% of them are standard transmissions.

As far as Land Rover diesels, no they were not allowed in the US until just a few years ago in the 494 and 405 platform. Yes all Range Rovers from 1987 introduction to NAS spec were automatics.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I actually think it is an interesting discussion. Are we not allowed to steer of topic? Does not need to be all technical, bit of history and background of the marque is useful knowledge.

Having lived on both sides of the pond and owning an original Texas grey import 4-door 1983 Range rover (with V8 and 3 speed 727 transmission) these are fundamentally different markets and Land Rover approached the markets accordingly. USA got the luxury treatment helped with low gas (petrol) prices, while in most other countries diesel and manuals were in demand, primary for cost reasons (Tax and Fuel).

For most foreign brands the USA was an exceptional market, and still is. I don't think many cars are offered with a V8 (or V6 even) in Europe or Asia. Fuel economy is simply not a consideration in the USA. It is kinda nice when you live there but utterly unsustainable in the long run.

It is in the luxury market that Land Rover eventually became a shining star. I don't think you can buy any modern 'manual' Land Rover today, although in Europe much more refined diesels are still favoured over petrol for larger cars in general.

For sure I am grateful the original owner of my car (one owner car when I bought it) added Original "Range Rover AC" to the list of extras. Now I can actually use the car in Houston! I back in 1983 in Europe I had never ever even heard of AC let alone putting it in car!

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
Are we not allowed to steer of topic?
No. It's useless to have technical forums if folks are not going to stay on topic to assist the OP. Off topic stuff is usually deleted. If someone wants to cover the history of Defender diesels then start a new thread. Let the OP have his thread on Petrol V8s with auto trannys. Kinda ridiculous to ask folks to use the search function and have to read through a bunch of off topic stuff to find answers.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
222 Posts
In 1997, the final year of US Defender 90 production, the engine was improved, designated 4.0 and mated to a four-speed automatic transmission.
For Land Rover's 50th anniversary in 1998 two special editions were built. The first was the Defender 50th which was essentially a NAS (North American spec) Defender 90. It was powered by a 190 hp (140 kW) 4.0-litre V8 petrol engine and was the first Land Rover outside North America to be fitted with an automatic transmission.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Rover_Defender

1 - 16 of 16 Posts