Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yeah. And I posted it awhile ago but I'm in Canada and I got my timing gear fixed for 400 bucks on warranty. . so. I dunno. Seems like a long shot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
YES !!!! Unfortunately, my timing chain broke on my 2007 Range Rover Sport.
I am the original owner with all of the maintenance records. My RR Sport only has 85k miles. I believe that Land Rover should be held accountable for the repairs.

·
Registered
2011 Range Rover Sport
27 Posts
Interesting that they are only doing 2012-2014's....pretty sure the late production 2012's,2013 &14's had the issue resolved.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been doing some research online and discovered that several other people with older models RR’s have had timing chain and engine problems.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honestly when you go on any auto auction, you’ll see about 80% cars that are there are for mechanical brake downs. All the cars around 100k miles. It’s sad and really messed on Land Rover side. I spoke with the lawyers and they said that cars with lower mileage qualify but higher you go the chances are lower.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good to know..... what do they consider “low mileage “ ?
In my opinion , a 13 1/2 year old RR , one original owner with 85k miles is low mileage. !

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah you would be considered low mileage but unfortunately you don’t have the 5.0. I believe they only handle these car engines. If they win you might get assistance but chances are low because Land Rover, and I mean HQ not just dealership, doesn’t care...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I came across this class action lawsuit against Land Rover regarding the timing on the engines affected by the bad parts, I’m considering about jumping on this train as my car has now bend valves, anyone else has thought about doing such a thing?

LAND ROVER and JAGUAR TIMING CHAIN Defect Class Action
I have a 2017 Jaguar FPACE 2.0D timing chain broke and destroyed the engine. Jaguar wants $25,000 to replace it. 85K miles. Timing chains should last 200K miles and beyond. Jaguar is aware of the problem but not will to do anything. I have read that some have had breakage as low as 40K miles. I'm told this is an issue with 2016-2018 diesels. All of us need to be added to the law suit. The real kicker is if you have to have it repaired to be part of any future class action suites and currently only 2012-2014 are involved in the suit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a 2017 Jaguar FPACE 2.0D timing chain broke and destroyed the engine. Jaguar wants $25,000 to replace it. 85K miles. Timing chains should last 200K miles and beyond. Jaguar is aware of the problem but not will to do anything. I have read that some have had breakage as low as 40K miles. I'm told this is an issue with 2016-2018 diesels. All of us need to be added to the law suit. The real kicker is if you have to have it repaired to be part of any future class action suites and currently only 2012-2014 are involved in the suit.
Its absolutely shameful. I agree on the 200k and beyond. I did an LS swap into a Defender 110 and the guy that did my wiring harness was an engineer that ran the LS engine durability studies for GM. He said that at 200k miles the only noticeable wear on an LS engine was a slight stretch of the timing chain but it wasnt enough to worry about.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2015 RR 5.0 with 107,000 miles. The timing chain jumped and my mechanic advises the engine is toast. $20,000 to install a refurbished engine. Spoke with the attorney soliciting for this class action. I'm out of luck since the model year ends with 2014 and the mileage is over 100,000.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2015 RR 5.0 with 107,000 miles. The timing chain jumped and my mechanic advises the engine is toast. $20,000 to install a refurbished engine. Spoke with the attorney soliciting for this class action. I'm out of luck since the model year ends with 2014 and the mileage is over 100,000.
So being over 100k means not applicable? Late to this game, but I have a 2012 LR4 and trying to find out more about this. No clue if you can even participate after the fact, but.... LOVE my car and don't want to lose it over a known issue!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is a potential settlement. Waiting for the court's approval. It is not a great help, but could be of some assistance for some. The payments vary on sliding scale based on date of purchase, age, and miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In my case (2014 RR sport, 97k miles) I meet all the criteria to receive reimbursement via the suit. My pampered, perfectly maintained vehicle's engine failed and it will cost $20k to repair. After that Land Rover will allegedly reimbursement me roughly 50% of the repair costs. I can't express my level of disappointment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
These vehicles are garbage. My 2012 Range Rover Sport blew up its engine at 83,000 miles. Timing chain shifted and put holes in the pistons. $25K repair which is more than the vehicle is worth. The class action suite does nothing because they put an eight year cutoff in the settlement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
These vehicles are garbage. My 2012 Range Rover Sport blew up its engine at 83,000 miles. Timing chain shifted and put holes in the pistons. $25K repair which is more than the vehicle is worth. The class action suite does nothing because they put an eight year cutoff in the settlement.
Agreed. I thought I would have my Rover for 20 years, and treated as such. Still can't believe it's a total loss at almost 7 years old. A $20k hit can put some people into homelessness these days. I am gutted. This is NOT the experience I expected, and I will never buy (nor recommend) a Land Rover product again.

·
Registered
650 Posts
guys this is all sad but 8 years seems sufficient to get this addressed, besides, it is very unlikely that chain just jumps.
It rattles and loud at that before. Ignoring engine rattle in any vehicle will result in sad outcome, Just a fact that it is LR has very little to do with this. Never looking under the hood does. Similar to Audi's oil consumption, there was a class action suite and VAG was replacing Pistons+Rods combo but those who never looked under the hood, never checked oil level wounded running out of oil and having engine ceased up. I bought my 2013 RRS in 2017 as CPO and Dealer had replaced Tensioner and Guides at my first request, I asked them to install new chains (not part of the campaign) as well and they did at very reasonable extra $, seems that all I had to do is point it out and ask... So my RRS is not garbage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
guys this is all sad but 8 years seems sufficient to get this addressed, besides, it is very unlikely that chain just jumps.
It rattles and loud at that before. Ignoring engine rattle in any vehicle will result in sad outcome, Just a fact that it is LR has very little to do with this. Never looking under the hood does. Similar to Audi's oil consumption, there was a class action suite and VAG was replacing Pistons+Rods combo but those who never looked under the hood, never checked oil level wounded running out of oil and having engine ceased up. I bought my 2013 RRS in 2017 as CPO and Dealer had replaced Tensioner and Guides at my first request, I asked them to install new chains (not part of the campaign) as well and they did at very reasonable extra $, seems that all I had to do is point it out and ask... So my RRS is not garbage.
i appreciate your perspective, and agree. in my case i saw the engine light come on and immediately drove 25mph to the dealer (10 miles). although i can't say i spent a lot of time under the hood, i did maintain my car as recommended. i never went long on oil schedules, etc. and i never ignored a dash light. the dealer mechanic said i did nothing to cause the failure. i believe that means LR should do something to assist, not just shrug and expect an owner to absorb a $19,000 repair.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts