RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My LCD screen is broken and im not keen on sending my unit half way accross the world to Roverville Radio is it possible to source a new LCD screen so that I can replace it myself?

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Roverville does incredible work. They would not only fix your screen, but would go end to end through your entire unit and make sure everything is 100% perfect. It really is well worth the down time. Remember they have two locations so just pick the site that will allow for cheaper shipping. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
You could also try the Clarion service centre for the part. They offer excellent service and I'm sure they could do something. Ron has put some circuit diagrams up somewhere on here of the Clarion unit which could help.

http://www.clarion-service.co.uk/

I've used them to rebuild/recon my head unit and wire in an iPod connection.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I just dont trust the postal service here also dont want to be without music for a month or so! I have contacted clarion and am waiting for their reply also got the wiring diagrams

·
Registered
191 Posts
I can vouch for Roverville UK - sent them my unit to service and put in the ipod jack - quick turnaround and quality work and the chap there (forgotten his name) spent a while on the phone with me talking about the Ranger sound systems - I too was hesitant to send my unit to the other side of the world but it is worth it and it's pretty cheap in the scheme of it all - an increasingly rare experience these days!

Regards

Andy

(Melbourne)

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was impressed with their response from their site, will have to wait and see if clarion gets back to me and how much the price difference will be

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still have not heard anything, I will probably get a much better head unit for the price but I want to keep the standard OEM unit in it

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,427 Posts
JeremyD said:
My LCD screen is broken and im not keen on sending my unit half way accross the world to Roverville Radio is it possible to source a new LCD screen so that I can replace it myself?
Yes. I paid A$20 plus shipping for a new one from Clarion Australia. I replaced all the globes and the silicion covers at the same time.

I put the info up on the main site (I modifed the page to include the info): http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetails/radiolcd.html

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They say its quite difficult to install a new LCD would you mind doing a write up including pictures on how to do it or is it as simple as removing the old one and soldering in the new one?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,427 Posts
It's not difficult but does require some expertise with a soldering iron.

There is a metal frame which retain the display. It has lugs which pass thorugh the PCB and which are then twisted to retain the frame. Tnen the lugs are soldered to the PCB.

The LCD just sits in place on the conductive rubber strips.

To remove the frame, one has to desolder the lugs carefully without damaging the printed circuit board. Then twist them straight so that they will come out of the slots in the board. Too much heat will delaminate the copper tracks.

When the display is removed note which is the top as there are no markings on the display and it would be very easy to misorientate the replacement. Mark a new display in some way, e.g., a dab of white out, so that you know which is the top. The surfaces are slightly different on the edge of the top and bottom and that's about all you have to indicate which is the top and bottom.

You do not want have to remove it a second time. Owing to the very high risk of damage to the PCB, I have not detailed the procedure in that article on the main site.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Doesnt sound to bad I recon I could do it, I have been speaking to Clarion South Africa and they said the part is not manufactured anymore, I have asked them to source it for me in the UK I will probably get a couple from them so that if any Souther African guys need them they can get them straight from me

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,427 Posts
When I bought mine from Clarion Australia, they had about 8 in stock. I thought of buying the lot.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you have a contact e-mail address for Clarion Australia as I cant find one on their site and Clarion South Africa are useless

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Ever considered replacing with Aftermarket, sounds loads better and if you really want to there are adaptor modules available so you still have steering button control.

Ideal replacement head unit should have atleast 6 RCA outputs, the one pair will control the subwoofer while the rest does front and rear doors.

New Headunits can play USB or MP3s...much better than the puted dated system...

saying that I still have the Original setup but done a few for customers who are not bothered.

In many ways I think they would have sold the vehicle on if there wasnt an alternative..

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There have been quite a few times when I considered throwing the towel in and getting an aftermaket one was actually considering getting one so I could play DVDs as well but I like OEM and I have managed to mod the radio to play my Ipod on so it does its job.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
669 Posts
In UK and used Clarion Service Centre last week £78 inc return post - sent Thursday called me Monday for payment and came back next day - new screen, new pcb to remove the 'squeal' on the left channel, tape deck refurbed (cassette - oh so passe my dear!) etc etc - works brilliantly and as it has the Karmon Hardon set up with cd stacker I'm chuffed to bits...

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,427 Posts
JeremyD said:
I have managed to mod the radio to play my Ipod on so it does its job.
Details, please! :D

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,427 Posts
viperover said:
Ever considered replacing with Aftermarket, sounds loads better and if you really want to there are adaptor modules available so you still have steering button control.
I've never seen anything to match the RR (Clarion) buttons.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,427 Posts
JeremyD said:
Do you have a contact e-mail address for Clarion Australia as I cant find one on their site and Clarion South Africa are useless
No. I tried the email address but got no reply. I rang them, sorted what I wanted then faxed the order through.

Clarion Australia Pty Ltd. Service Centre
Telephone: +61 3 8558 1115
Facsimile: +61 3 9551 0377
Business Hours: Monday -Friday 9am-5pm AEST

I listed all the required part nos. on the main site at: http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetail ... reassembly

1 - 20 of 36 Posts