RIP Our Friend
THis year has been hell for tunes in my rig. My am/fm has failed so I no longer have radio or Sirius. No sweat, my casette and CD work just fine. Over the past two minths I have had to pull my changer three times and blast the dust and super fine volcanic ash out of it to free up stuck CDs. As with the other postings on CDAC errors, the rubber rollers are of course bone dry. I've cleaned them both with alcohol all three times after blowing out the changer. I've been leary of putting anything on the rollers for fear of smearing up the read surface. The light went on last time, in the back corner of my failing mind I remembered that the top roller never contacts anything but the top of the CDs... DAH. So I took a swab with mineral oil and lubed up the top roller, reassembled and taped up the sides and back with gaffers tape. Three weeks later, three trips on seriously dry, dusty ash covered trails and I pulled the changer for inspection. everything is dust free and the top roller is nice and pliable. Give it a shot folks. I will try to remember to report back in another few weeks when I check it again after a few more trail runs.