RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THis year has been hell for tunes in my rig. My am/fm has failed so I no longer have radio or Sirius. No sweat, my casette and CD work just fine. Over the past two minths I have had to pull my changer three times and blast the dust and super fine volcanic ash out of it to free up stuck CDs. As with the other postings on CDAC errors, the rubber rollers are of course bone dry. I've cleaned them both with alcohol all three times after blowing out the changer. I've been leary of putting anything on the rollers for fear of smearing up the read surface. The light went on last time, in the back corner of my failing mind I remembered that the top roller never contacts anything but the top of the CDs... DAH. So I took a swab with mineral oil and lubed up the top roller, reassembled and taped up the sides and back with gaffers tape. Three weeks later, three trips on seriously dry, dusty ash covered trails and I pulled the changer for inspection. everything is dust free and the top roller is nice and pliable. Give it a shot folks. I will try to remember to report back in another few weeks when I check it again after a few more trail runs.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
A handy post Carl. My Clarion packed up months ago and even using CD cleaners and fliud, it hasn't worked again. I recently sent off the head unit to Clarion Service Centre, but when I got it back it wasn't happy accepting the code. The code just sat there on the (now working) LCD screen. So it has gone back again. Unfortunately, it wasn't back before my trip to Holland. At least it won't get stolen while the car is out on the street. :lol:

I guess the next step will be taking out the CD unit. Have you got any tips for removal/fixing when I get back to the UK?

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rotate the four trim retainers, remove the trim panel then there are only four screws and the wiring plug. The changer slides right out from under the sub woofer. Once out remove the four T-10 screws retaining the trim plate and split the case top off. Blow her out and clean up the rollers. I have it down to about 15 minutes because I have had a few of these apart so many times. :)

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
Sounds like you need a back up Carl. I installed a MP3 player in my rangie and removed the CD changer all togeather, it's in storage, I was thinking of gutting it and
reinstalling the case so I would have a neat little storage box. It worked very well before I removed it if ya want it it's yours send me a PM..

Scotty

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,365 Posts
Just had to butt in here.

Mine's a BMW / Alpine changer and has been back to the repairer's three times - re focus the lens, free the jammed caddy etc.

I toyed with the idea of fitting a replacement Alpine MP3 changer (GBP 120 or so), but at the end of the day it is old technology and still beset by mechanical frailties.

My answer was to fit a Parrot Mki 9100 blue tooth phone kit and MP3 / iPod player.

It is not 100% reliable yet, but very neat and nice to use. Hours and hours of music at good quality on a 2MB USB stick ..... and it answers the phone!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts