RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out how to wire an aux input to my stock HU. It is a Clarion and I would like to try to solder to the cassette output. I tried to search, but the lack of pictures currently on the site is really not helping right now.

I was also going to try to use the FM output that is featured on a youtube video, but my internals are completely different.

·
Super Moderator
2,312 Posts
http://www.stockholmviews.com/p38/index.html#clarion although I solder the additional wires to the pins on the back of the board rather than to the back of the socket. If it's just Line In you want, all you ned do is add the cable and ignore the rest about the Bluetooth unit. Use a decent quality screened cable and not the unscreened you find on some cheaper leads or if using a phone on the line in will cause the blick, blick, blick, handshake to be audible. With this mod there's no need to switch to Line In, it will automatically switch over from Radio or Cassette as soon as audio is detected on the Line In input.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, the board inside my stereo isn’t the same as that unit. The faceplate is the same. I sure wish this site would get fixed so I could upload pictures.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Please post a photo of your face plate.

All Clarions for the NAS market GEMS should be the same as the Diversity system with cassette was standard equipment. CD changers were optional in earlier years. In 98 the Harmon Kardon speaker system was added to all models with the same Clarion head unit.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Please post a photo of your face plate.

All Clarions for the NAS market GEMS should be the same as the Diversity system with cassette was standard equipment. CD changers were optional in earlier years. In 98 the Harmon Kardon speaker system was added to all models with the same Clarion head unit.

https://flic.kr/p/294SmLV

It's a '97 with the HK speakers and a CD changer.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Looks the same. I was thinking someone had changed out head units.

·
Super Moderator
2,312 Posts
Although it looks the same, it may be a different model. There were others that looked the same from the front fitted to the Discovery and also some Iveco trucks. Does it have the model number on it still? It should be LR part PRC7618 (Clarion model PU-9836A).

You could always connect to the cassette head but you'd need to fool the cassette mech to think it had a cassette inserted which might be a problem for you as the mech appears to be faulty (bent spring hanging around doing not a lot in your pics).

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
If all else fails and you can not source directions for what is different in your head unit... you can send it to the old Roverville Radio. Sadly they, as well as every LR business that had "Rover" in their name, had to change their name when LRNA had fit over name infringement. They are now GB 4x4 Radios. They do spectacular work of going through your head unit and ensuring everything is clean and working properly. Any flaw is rectified. best of all they can add your input to the face and it looks completely factory... no cable and plug hanging somewhere.

http://www.gb4x4radios.com/

Photos

http://www.gb4x4radios.com/aux--iphone--mp3-connection/

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine is rover part # AMR 2672

clarion # pu-9887a

·
Super Moderator
2,312 Posts
That's one that was supplied by LR as a replacement if the original PRC7618 died. It was never fitted to a car as new but only as a replacement for a Clarion when one was required and was supplied as a kit complete with mounting frame. Presumably stocks of the original one ran out (or Clarion stopped producing them when LR went over to Alpine) so they used a later version as a base with the same front panel so it looked the same. Looks like GB 4x4 is going to be your only option (assuming they are familiar with that particular unit).

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Ahhhhh interesting. If this was a replacement/superseded model I bet GB has seen it many times.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I gave up. GB 4x4 did not respond to my inquiry. I had an old Pionner HU laying around with USB in as well as bluetooth. The tech support at Crutchfield told me I could not use my existing amps. She was wrong. I used the preamp outputs on the head unit to connect to a Discovery harness adapter. Had to dremel the Metra connector a bit so that the plug would fit. Added a couple of pins to connect the sub and it sounds pretty good.

Phase 2 just happened this morning. I added steering wheel control capability. I was even able to remap the controls so that volume is on the left and tracks are on the right. I still may remap the (nonfunctional) cruise control buttons to the phone.

·
Super Moderator
2,312 Posts
It may take a while with shipping which will also add to the cost but try contacting Clarion themselves in the UK (http://www.clarion-service.co.uk/cs/Original_Equipment.html). I sent a dead PRC7618 to them. It was repaired, had the Aux in added, the code removed and was back with me within 4 days.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts