RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the boards and so far I have found some great information from you guys. I have a quick question about some of the terminology here. I have a 2005 Range Rover HSE (had it for 4 months and I love it!) So here are my questions.

What is .

MKIII ?
L322?

Cheers

Martin

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
L322 is the design number for the MarkIII. The MarkIII is the nic name given the "New Range Rover" as it was the third body style and built from 2002.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rrtoadhall said:
L322 is the design number for the MarkIII. The MarkIII is the nic name given the "New Range Rover" as it was the third body style and built from 2002.
Thank you very much for the speedy reply. So my 2005 RR HSE is both a L322 and the MKIII

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
New Range Rover, Mark III and L322 are all the same.

Congrads on your new rig!! :thumb:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Range Rover Classic - 1971-1995 - 3.9 and 4.2
Range Rover P38 - 1995-2002 - 4.0 and 4.6
Range Rover L322 (MKIII) 2003-2005 BMW 4.4 2006+ Jag 4.2 and 4.4

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Again, thank you very luch everyone for your help.

I was reading the forums and noticed a thread stating that the RR should have blue coolent. I checked my rad and the coolent was clear as water but giving a reading that it was good for -40 (very odd). While I was figuring out how I was going to pull off a rad flush (which apparently can't be done by the local Minute Lube because they don't have the tools to remove the upper rad hose) I notice that the canister right beside the rad was loose. The two upper grommits holding this canister had sheered off. I removed the top to securing nuts but couldn't figure out the size of the 'square' nut on the bottom side. Has anyone had to replace these upper grommits, and if so, how did you get the bottom nuts off?

Here is the picture, I will look at the manual to figure out what this canister is so I can call the Local Stealership and order the parts.

Attachments

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,369 Posts
mpacker said:
....I notice that the canister right beside the rad was loose. The two upper grommits holding this canister had sheered off. I removed the top to securing nuts but couldn't figure out the size of the 'square' nut on the bottom side. Has anyone had to replace these upper grommits, and if so, how did you get the bottom nuts off?
That’s your oil filter and, yes, I’m afraid ‘bobbin-shear’ is all too familiar to us ’02-’05 owners. Some info. here : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27063

Incidentally the radiator hoses are all the ‘quick-release’ type which don’t require any special tools to remove them, just a screwdriver or pair of pliers to lever/pull up the locking clip. Couldn’t be simpler.

Phil

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RRPhil said:
mpacker said:
....I notice that the canister right beside the rad was loose. The two upper grommits holding this canister had sheered off. I removed the top to securing nuts but couldn't figure out the size of the 'square' nut on the bottom side. Has anyone had to replace these upper grommits, and if so, how did you get the bottom nuts off?
That’s your oil filter and, yes, I’m afraid ‘bobbin-shear’ is all too familiar to us ’02-’05 owners. Some info. here : http://rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27063

Incidentally the radiator hoses are all the ‘quick-release’ type which don’t require any special tools to remove them, just a screwdriver or pair of pliers to lever/pull up the locking clip. Couldn’t be simpler.

Phil

Thank you! You are a life saver! I will try to remove the rubber grommit with a pair of vice grips and go to the local stealership for replacements. Seeing as it is a BMW engine would the local BMW dealer carry them? The closest LR dealer is over 90 mins away.

Cheers

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
860 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
In addition the 2002-2004 L322's (MarkIII) come with a CD based BMW navigation computer known as a MarkIII nav unit. It is plug and play with the DVD based MarkIV navigation unit from BMW available from our forum sponsor: http://www.roverupgrades.com/Range_Rove ... ation.html
This does not apply to the 2005+ L322's.

There is plenty of threads on navigation upgrade which can be found by using search.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help everyone. I made the trip in to Vancouver yesterday and bought the two parts ($15 each). I then went to the local hardware store with the new parts and we came up with two sets of replacements, when needed. They are in the glove box ready for the next break. Getting the remaining piece out of the bracket was eventful. As soon as I grabbed the remaining rubber with a pair of vice grips they broke off leaving just the bottom plate in the bracket. I drilled it out and finally was able to screw the new pieces in. I'm not a handy man but I sure felt good that I was able to do the work myself!

I wonder what the next DIY will be.

Cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts