RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just printed out the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual for my 1999 HSE Rangie and went a-hunting on the Rave disk for the Circuit Schematic Diagrams for my model. No Joy :( What I've managed to find is a publication called "Electrical Circuit Diagrams" for Range Rover which seems to be printed in 2001, Publication Part No. LRL 0499ENG. This seems to be pretty extensive and has loads of in-depth circuits for the P38, however, I'm dubious to print it out as I'm not sure if it covers my model as the file is dated at 2001, two years after my model! There isn't any notes or intro in the PDF that explains what models the schematics cover and combing the Internet comes up with nothing helpful. So... Question is, Does this set of schematics also cover the 1999 HSE model? If not, where the heck can I download one for my model from? Examining the 2001 version seems to have loads of useful information not covered in the Troubleshooting manual, like wire colours, separate circuit sections, etc... Any help on this is muchly appreciated.
[h=3][/h]

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I'm not about to attempt to download the publication you refer to from a random Russian site, but what you want- wire colours, separate circuit sections etc are covered in detail in the ETM in RAVE, so you're either not looking in the right place, or you've got a chunk of RAVE missing!
Here's a sample random screenshot:
sample etm.JPG
Basically, on your '99 it's a crossover year for models, so you need to determine whether you've got a GEMS or Motronic. Both are covered in RAVE.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Never heard of the document but wouldn't mind seeing it. Is it freely available and can you post a link?
As to it's applicability then I think it comes with the usual caveats that it's going to be mighty helpful but don't take it as gospel. There will always be subtle differences in market areas and models that mean the diagrams may not be quite right for your car. For example, I believe I'm right in saying that ETMs were produced to comply with a US requirement to provide diagnostic information for cars on sale in the USA so the ETM only ever covers LHD models. (I've used BMW's ETM's for many years on several cars and these were produced by BMW North America and are always LHD) It's still and invaluable resource for RHD cars though even though some of the component and connector location information is wrong.

If the document isn't specific about years then you could probably infer that it applies to the earliest cars i.e. you don't need to say which it applies to if there is only one at that time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mr Bean, however, I do know about the PDF you're referring to as it's also on my Rave disk (Publication Part Number LRL0329) and it's labeled as "Electrical Troubleshooting Manual". I've downloaded the one that I'm referring to and it fortunately isn't from some random Russian site. The nice thing I've noticed about this diagram manual is that it's in colour, this is great as it helps identify the wires. It's also printed in landscape as opposed to portrait so it's easy to read in a flip-ring binder.

Thanks for the input John949, as requested, below is the direct link to the PDF of it, I'd be interested in what you think of it :

http://www.legionlandrover.com/manuales/electric circuit diagrams - range rover new uk (2001).pdf

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yikes!... Sure stuff Mr Bean... I see the site that you're referring to.... Maybe try my link as it looks a tad safer...

·
Registered
343 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool! Thanks Ferryman, downloaded and ready to use :) I've just got to work out now whether I've got a GEMS or Motronic as suggested by Mr Bean.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Cool! Thanks Ferryman, downloaded and ready to use :) I've just got to work out now whether I've got a GEMS or Motronic as suggested by Mr Bean.
:)
Open bonnet, if you have an inlet manifold that looks like a bunch of bananas, it's a Motronic/ Thor. If it's a rectangular box with 4.6 cast into it, it's a GEMS

·
Registered
233 Posts
The document (ending 499) you've linked to Steven looks to be for the early L322 - so not relevant to a P38 at all sadly. Nice and colourful though!

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,159 Posts
As Sloth says...

That linked ETM document is for the L322 - the P38 one was never done in colour.

The version of RAVE that I have has 4 different ETM volumes - 1995,1996,1997,and 1999 onwards

There were slight differences in the earlier 3 year ETM's - but the '97 one covers up to the end of the GEMS vehicles. 1999 onwards is for all of the Thor models and has some variations of connectors for 99/00/01 vehicles where there were changes, but they are generally marked in the ETM

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Guys,

Mr Bean - Seems to be that I've got a Motronic inlet as it does indeed look like a bunch of bananas (or some blokes six-pack who does 2,000 sit-ups every morning). The plastic pipes in the vicinity of the bananas seem to have Bosch inscribed on them, though so I'm not sure if this is relevant or not.

Sloth & Marty - Yup, I came to the same L322 conclusion. When I paged towards the end of the PDF (looking for some indication of years and/or models covered) I came across titles of "Tyre Pressure Monitoring", "Park Distance Controller (PDC)" and "Telecommunication Systems" so I sadly, logically figured that I was barking up the wrong tree :-( Anyways, the diagrams on the Rave disk will probably do fine, just the flashy colours of this document looked handy. Looks like I may have to convince the missus that I need a second back-up L322 Rover so I can utilize it. Wish me luck :grin:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts