RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks !

Is there a way of setting the cigarette/accessory socket in the front of the car to have permanent power rather than go dead when the key is turned to switch the engine off ?
I want to have a dash cam running 24/7
I know I could just rig the thing to run off a permanent feed but was just curious if its possible with the standard socket. I used to own a Ford Focus that when the fuse for the accessory socket was inserted in a certain way it would make the socket live without the key being turned.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd be curious to find this out myself so I could leave a phone or whatever charging in the chubbybox

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I believe the port inside the center Cubby storage compartment is wired to be hot all the time. I wired in a pair of dual USB ports into the rear upholstery pads outboard of the rear seats, one port is a standard usb, the other is a 2.1A on each side, they are wired to the rear accessory socket and each side is individually fused. Got sick of my back seat passengers stealing my phone charging port on the back of the console (I have my Valentine 1 plugged into the front socket), so now they have their own to charge whatever they want.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIII / L322
65 Posts
I believe the port inside the center Cubby storage compartment is wired to be hot all the time. I wired in a pair of dual USB ports into the rear upholstery pads outboard of the rear seats, one port is a standard usb, the other is a 2.1A on each side, they are wired to the rear accessory socket and each side is individually fused. Got sick of my back seat passengers stealing my phone charging port on the back of the console (I have my Valentine 1 plugged into the front socket), so now they have their own to charge whatever they want.
Are you certain it's actually powered all the time or does it just stay on for a few minutes after you shut the car down, or turn on when you open the door? That's actually been my experience.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
The description of it in the electrical manual says its power directly off of the battery, same as the one in the rear deck area. They are each powered from separate fuses in the rear fuse panel. I've never actually used that one for anything.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
291 Posts
I just checked on mine, and cigarette lighter is live all of the time, just like it is on BMWs of the same vintage.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
387 Posts
Mines are live all the time too. I installed a few gauges on the dash and taped into the accessories aux power without checking first. Was looking for an aux power that is only hot with key on but couldnt find one. I find it weird that the OP's is having opposite results.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
The cigarrette lighter opposite the key on the top of the console and the one facing the back seat in the rear face of the console shut off with the key off, but the one inside the console is hot all the time.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIII / L322
165 Posts
not on mine, 5~7 min. thay shut off. opening door will bring them on for onother 5~7 min.

·
Registered
631 Posts
06 SC l322 here. The one in the front by the key is on with ignition for me, same for the one on the arm rest for the back seat passengers. The one IN the arm rest I haven't checked but assume it's always powered. Then one in the trunk is always powered for sure. My son uses it with a 6 foot type c cable to power his tablet and charge it when the vehicle is off.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts