RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first post here after having lurked on the forum for a while - hoping you guys can help me out!

I've got a 2008 RRS 4.2 Supercharged, and it's time to replace the front shocks. I want to keep the air suspension setup, and am open to any manufacturer provided they make quality parts. The issue I'm having is choosing the right part for my car. I believe the car may be fitted with the ACE system, which would (I believe) require a slightly different type of shock. It seems easy to find shocks for vehicles without ACE, but for those with the system the options are somewhat limited. Interestingly, on the Arnott website, the part number for ACE shocks and non ACE shocks seems exactly the same, perhaps suggesting that their products are compatible with both?

I peeled the sticker off the existing shock, which states that it's a Delphi 22241478. Searching this on google however doesn't seem to produce many results. I also took a picture of the top of the shock (see below) in the hope that perhaps a more knowledgeable person may be able to tell me if it's equipped with ACE or not.

Shortly before Christmas, I'll be driving from Mexico to Florida, and my plan is to pick up some shocks on the way, as the parts I find in Mexico are generally expensive / of dubious quality. As a result, it's extremely important that I get the right parts, as the last thing I want to be doing is having to mail incompatible parts all the way back, with the associated hassle and cost.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_5598.jpg

·
Administrator
27,794 Posts
Fist off they are not "shocks". They are strut assemblies. If you like the current ride and handling, replace with Delphi originals to ensure to maintain.

you have standard suspension, not ACE. If you had ACE you would have a wiring harness at the top of your strut. This is a good thing. They will be much less expensive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ah right, I see - I'm not a mechanic so apologies for not using the correct terminology....
Any recommended places to get the Delphi struts? I've found a lot of companies offering products such as Arnott and Suncore, but short of the main dealer there don't seem to be many sources of the Delphi ones.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
Thankyou. Upon closer inspection of the label taken from the existing front strut, I can see that it has ARC written on it, which I presume stands for Active Roll Control. I assume this isn't ACE: as you say, there doesn't appear to be any wiring at the top of the strut, but from my internet searches it's not clear whether ARC and ACE are different names for the same thing.

·
Administrator
27,794 Posts
Active Roll Control is a variable hydraulic valving system within the strut... no electrics.. standard equipment on SCs. So your photo is showing the center strut within the mounting/centering plate, the three alignment studs with the heat shield anchor under one of them and the air line in.

It looks like RNB501600 is the LR part number that you can cross reference with other makes.

·
Administrator
27,794 Posts
So to amend my error "original Delphi" I posted above... It appears your LR struts have been replaced before with Delphi units. Delphi is mention by many members as comparable replacements on first gen L320s/2006-2009 here in the States. So again if you liked the ride and handling of the Delphi units I would stick with them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts