RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Ive been lurking around this site for a few months now and love the information that you guys share. I posted buy this vs that question recently and have managed to narrow my search for a Rover down to two different vehicles. This car will be a my weekend fun car as I have a company car that I can drive any other time, so i want expect to put very many miles on it.

The first of these is a 2002HSE 4.6 Black P38 with 76000 miles on the clock. The carfax report checks out with 1 owner and a great service history. I did all of the regular tests that are recommended here during the examination and test drives. The electrical looks good, the bags fill and release, great pickup. Of course the EAS hasnt failed yet (key word yet) it does seem like a well kept machine. The only negative is some arm rest damage and a little cracking in the leather. The dealer is asking 12500.00 dollars of which Im sure I can get down some more.

The second is the notorious 2003 Black MKIII. This vehicle has 83000 on the clock and was purchased by the local rover club shop at auction. They replaced the tires/wheels, front bumper, some electrical work. There is still a little steering column work that needs to be done as well as some paint damage they were going to repair. They did say I could get the car as is for 16000 appx.

I just wanted to see what you guys thoughts were on these two monsters.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Re: Choices! Choices! Found a P38 and a Local Rover Shop MKIII

the '02 ...simply on it's background and recorded upkeep.
the difference in Kilometres wouldn't be that significant, and your saving $3.500 on a well maintained vehicle.
there'll be enough problems later on :wink: to not risk buying them at purchase.

.................tasi :thumb:

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts

Knock about $4k off the P38 and it's a good buy. There isn't a 02' range on the planet that's worth 12k.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts

rive them both, see which you prefer.

The P38 is a Range Rover

The Mk3 L322 is a Range Rover shaped car.

I'm constantly appalled at the cost cutting that went into the L322, the noisy clunky switches, the poorly designed bodywork, the rust etc. But then I look out the window and all that fades away because the L322 is a stunningly attractive car. On top of looks it handles so much better than any P38, the BMW engine is a bit racy, but having jumped into a 3.9 Disco the other day I did wonder if the throttle pedal was even attached to anything! The Rover V8 is such a lazy engine.

I wouldn’t swap my L322 for the P38, but if I could own both I definitely would.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts