Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, it's been a while since I've driven my P38, as it's been sitting in my garage. Had to move it to get the boat out, and I took it around our loop and noticed it's making a chirping/squealing sound whenever I accelerate. It's only when I accelerate. But it's pretty **** loud. It's like a squeal squeal squeal sound not a continuous whine. What could this be? Is it the U joints? How do I grease them? (it hasn't been done in at least 6k)

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
if you don;t know how to grease them how do you know how long it;s been?

You grease the UJoints like any other zirk fitting... stick the grease gun on it and give a couple of squirts. Never so much the seals leak grease... a little movement/bulge at the most.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if you don;t know how to grease them how do you know how long it;s been?

You grease the UJoints like any other zirk fitting... stick the grease gun on it and give a couple of squirts. Never so much the seals leak grease... a little movement/bulge at the most.
It's just been at least 6k. I bought the truck with 139k on the clock, it now has 145k, and I've never done it. I'd assume it's been more than 6k...

Thank you for the quick reply. Looks like my front drive shaft has been replaced at some point, it has no rust and looks much better than my rear one.

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
SOUNDS like you need to get back on your back and learn to be at one with a grease gun. If you don't KNOW when it was been done and have no records then assume it has NEVER been done. Inspect your seals for wear and leaking grease. Check your nipples for caked on crust and leaking. snicker... One nipple per joint.

Since you have a squeek, service one nipple then go for a 10+ mile drive in stop and go situations. This will disdribute the grease through the four legs. If you still have a squeek then go to the next nipple and do the same. If it stops... then you found your issue.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I greased them all really well. The front drive shaft was a bit low. I'm assuming the reason this is supposed to be done with every oil change is because of the EAS moving the drive shafts up and down?

I was concerned (took it for about a mile drive after I did them) that it was still squealing, but I guess that's normal then? I have to take the Rangie to school tomorrow (5 miles each way) so maybe that'll do it? I think after that I might flush the drive shafts again.

All in all, probably one of the easiest jobs I've done on the P38. Only thing I had to do was clean them all with a toothbrush and I used a paperclip to un stick them all... it's clearly been a while since they've been done.

Should I be afraid of the squealing? I'd hate for my drive shaft to come off and destroy my transmission and lord knows what else. All I need is more stuff to fix on the Rangie...

Also... to show you how much time I spend actually under the P38, I didn't notice until today that my undercarriage has been rust protected. Lol.

And thank you so much for helping me with all my issues... I don't know what I'd do without it.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are there any other things that should be greased? I really like the grease gun lol. Oh, and the chirping quieted down a lot, but it's still not 100% gone, maybe another trip to school and lunch and back will cure it.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
208 Posts
Glad to hear the chirping has reduced, hopefully another squirt and it will go which should mean you caught it in time. I had the chirping and full vibration. Changed front UJs to cure, and then changed rears as preventative measure. If you search on UJs there are some horror stories on here.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts