RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am experiencing a chirping/squeaking noise from the right side of my truck ('01 4.6 HSE) as I drive. Thought it might have been the U Joints...so had them and driveshaft lubed this morning. But chirping noise still there after about 10 miles or so of driving. Any thoughts on what this could be?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to add to this...only happens when moving, so not engine or fan related. Not any louder when I go over bumps. Definitely coming from right side as if I roll down the passenger windows it's much louder, especially if I drive by something, like a wall or building where the sound can bounce off of. If I roll them up and listen out of drivers side, it's not nearly as loud.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Just had similar, and just going on the noise description (and my replacement of)...Bearings, as in complete hub.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Does it stop/reduce when you touch the brakes? I had/have something similar on the passenger side, think it;s a caliper guide pin which is siezed.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
A shot wheel bearing will also stop/ reduce the noise it's making when you touch the brake, as, in effect, the pad gripping will damp out the movement

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally had a chance to take it in today to have the chirp looked at and he said it's the wheel bearings in the right front wheel....so yes Orangebean, you were correct! My questions is, do I also have to replace the hub? There is play in the wheel too....in other words, it wiggles a little bit when you grab the wheel and rock it with it up on the lift.

Mechanic is quoting me 2 hours, sound about right?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Finally had a chance to take it in today to have the chirp looked at and he said it's the wheel bearings in the right front wheel....so yes Orangebean, you were correct! My questions is, do I also have to replace the hub? There is play in the wheel too....in other words, it wiggles a little bit when you grab the wheel and rock it with it up on the lift.
Mechanic is quoting me 2 hours, sound about right?
If your mechanic says he/ she will do it in 2 hours, then they're a blooming good mechanic!
The cheapest solution is to put new bearings into the existing hub (use quality ones like Timken http://www.island-4x4.co.uk/wheel-bearing-front-timken-ftc1507kf-p-27881.html), but this needs the mother of all presses to get the old one's out!
LR (and the clone manufacturers) supply the complete hub http://www.island-4x4.co.uk/front-assy-ftc3226g-timken-bearing-p-27883.html which is a much easier fit.
Oh yes, if you can slow your mechanic down enough, get him/ her to check the ball joints while they're down there!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Can the bearing be pushed out with a chisel as in the RR classic/ defender?

·
Registered
520 Posts
no they are like a large front wheel drive bearing and if the bearing has been cooked it will be difficult to remove .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts