RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if this has been directly addressed before. If so I apologize in advance for my quazi-lazy search. At any rate, is anyone aware of a genuine or aftermarket anchor system for the US spec P38 Range Rover models. Almost all car seats these days are designed for the anchor systems which most every newer car has as standard equipment, including the MKIII Rovers. I seem to recall a post some time ago about a kind of 3-point system or other type of optional safety system for UK or AUS models?

Although safe if used properly, I am not a tremendous fan of the seatbelt method - at least used solely. I would greatly prefer the anchor and latch method. With twin girls, this has become a heated issue with the queen of the castle and the ol' P38 has not been getting much use a result.

·
Registered
494 Posts
all i can tell you is the fixtures to which you refer appear in my NAS 2002, but not in my NAS 99. sorry i can't be of more help. my wife and i rock the chico setup you guys have as well, and are good with it from a safety perspective (not that that will assist with your predicament). although i will say someone would have to RPG your p38 to hurt your kids when they're hidden behind that frame. our volvo s80 has the anchors you mentioned as well, and we don't use them in that either. they are cool though...

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
a new set of rear seats from a junkyard '00-'02 will have them. call Scotty, the seats mount to the frame of the RR the same way and will (should?) have the LATCH anchors

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
00' doesn't have the LATCH system. At least mine doesn't.

We have it in the 07' Volvo, and I consider it more of a pain than anything. Especially when swapping the seat(s) from one car to the next frequently.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Personally I prefer the seat belt mounted systems.
I know the manufacturers push the latch system but secured with a seat belt you have something designed to hold a big fat adult to restrain them, with the latches its a reliant on a small latch designed to hold much less weight.
OK the kids are light but I still prefer a huge safety margin - I am always skeptical. The "Isofix" was introduced by the EU to make it that stupid people could not get the fastening wrong, it doesn't mean its safer.

A direct comparison is Scart sockets on TV's and AV kit. Introduced by the EU to standardize but utter rubbish by comparison to component cables.

Explain to SHMBO that just because a Bureaucrat in Brussels likes it doesn't make it better.

·
Registered
2002 P38 4.6 HSE
110 Posts
Great topic.
So I have my wife over my shoulder right now telling me what to write. She is a professional "Child Safety Seat" installer.
"If given the choice, the seat belts are preferred over the LATCH system. The seat belt is designed to handle more weight and force. The seat belts can also be tightened more. Never, ever use both the LATCH and the seat belts together. That is one of the most unsafe things you can do. A rescue person, when entering the car, will look to see if the seat belt is attached. If it is, He/She will release it and remove the child in the seat in one motion. If the seat belt is not attached, then they will look for the LATCH. They are assume that the seat was installed correctly. And all car seat manuals state not to use both methods of restraints."
BTW. If given the choice. The center seat is the safest. And according to my wife, the Rovers center belt is one of the best. It is a self-locking belt(manually adjusted). So you(Me) can really crank it down.
Sorry it was a long reply.

Wife looking over shoulder again and asked me to add this: "If you are thinking of upgrading to the LATCH system, make sure you look out as to what year the LATCH was manufactured. Earlier ones were only rated to 40lbs."
That means the 2002's would only be rated to 40lbs., including the child seat itself.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
wow! and I thought the whole point of latch was improved safety....40lbs doesn't sound like much when you consider momentum.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,424 Posts
See also: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29872&p=232826

The Australian cars come with three seat belt retention brackets in the roof just in front of the upper tailgate. We can buy seatbelts with fittings that clip into these.

From that thread:

p38arover said:
These are the points for the supplementary belts for child safety seats. (Yes, the new headlining will be fitted soon!)

They are plastic covers over the steel brackets

The roof lining has since been done. :)

·
Registered
2002 P38 4.6 HSE
110 Posts
Ron. Good photo of the tether anchors.
They are standard on the US models.
Here, you have to have a child seat with the tether already build in. There are no after-market attachments.
Not all manufacturers have this built into their child seats. Britax is the one that makes it standard on all of the "Full" seats. Swedish company!
Here is the photo from the other topic that shows how it's used on a front facing seat for an older child. Works the same for a younger child in the rear facing position.
[attachment=0:22hhgk9h]Belt3.jpg[/attachment:22hhgk9h]

Attachments

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,424 Posts
Ahh, so US cars have the same system as ours. That wasn't made clear in posts on the other thread.

Unfortunately, the ISOFix system isn't legal here yet. It hasn't been incorporated into the Australian Design Rules. Later LR products include it I believe.

·
Registered
896 Posts
My 2001 4.6 SE has the tether anchors on the roof, but no latch system. I too wanted a latch system, but don't think they made it in most cars until 2003. The belt system in the Rangie, if done correctly, is very good. Once installed correctly, I don't miss the latch at all.

You must pull the seat belt all the way out and then slowly start let it reel in. You will hear audible clicks as the belts retracts. This eliminates any slack and you can tighten the carseats very tightly.

I am satisfied with my install using the belts and tether anchors with the Britax and Sunshine Kids.

BTW, the Sunshine Kids (http://www.skjp.com/products/97556/Car_Seats) I think are better than Britax and not so **** wide. I won't buy Britax again. You can't fit three across the back seat, even the full size SUVs. But with the Sunshine Kids, they are narrower outside, plenty big for the kids, and you can fit 3 across the backseat of most cars. (yes, I am crazy... we have 3 under three!) They are also FAA approved if you want to fly.

And to the original poster, yes the volvo gets great safety ratings, but I would much rather have my kids in the Range Rover if ever in an accident. There is alot to be said for inertia, mass and a stout boxed frame.

·
Registered
468 Posts
spikemd said:
and you can fit 3 across the backseat of most cars. (yes, I am crazy... we have 3 under three!) They are also FAA approved if you want to fly.

And to the original poster, yes the volvo gets great safety ratings, but I would much rather have my kids in the Range Rover if ever in an accident. There is alot to be said for inertia, mass and a stout boxed frame.
We'll have 3 under three by September so 3 seats across the back is a must. We're keeping the P38 as a spare cos it's not that practical for 3 little ones, a dog and double pram. Got ourselves a Renault Espace for kiddie duty

1 - 12 of 12 Posts