RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, as you may have seen, i'm on the hunt. this one caught my eye -
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... MEWAX%3AIT
anyone know a good way to get it checked out by someone in the know before buying? i'm all the way in northern ca. i do have family in fla (boca - my brother), but the guy drives a minivan for chrissakes so he's not any help where cars are concerned :mrgreen:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I searched for 6 months and the only advice after looking at literally 60 Range Rovers is:

You need to be able to put your hands on the car that you want. Short story...I almost bought a 06 RR HSE that was loaded. Getting ready to wright the check and I looked under the car and it was totally rusted out.

Range Rovers are special vehicles that need love. You want to make sure it has been loved.

Good luck

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i was thinking that i would possibly have the seller take it to a rover dealer. opinions?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I live in Miami and my mechanic is an indy who used to be the head of the shop at LandRover Uruguay. He is good, honest and knows his cars. He maintain my 08 Full Size HSE, a 2003 Allroad and a 2006 Odyssey. You could contact him and see if he is willing to make an inspection. He also buys cars for people.

Eurocars USA
Rafael Pons
[email protected]

Best

Alex

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I got my 04 with 48,000 miles on it in mint condition for 18k 1 year ago...

The interior on that range is beat... the engine is flaking paint, I'd just walk away at that price point.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
for real guys? have you seen what else is out there? have you kbb'd these cars? most people are listing comparables at $24k! where are you seeing these "amazing" cars for so cheap?

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Do you know anything about range rovers? Usually when someone is selling one they're tired of the mega repair bills and willing to wheel and deal to unload it. Make a cash offer on a nice one and you'll be set... 20k for one that looks like it was abused is a lose situation.

If you don't know too much about them it'd pay to do a little more research before buying one, they're expensive as all hell to repair.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i'm TRYING to learn. i'm not totally naive about all this.... but i'm on this forum because i DO need advice. i'm also not new to expensive repair bills unfortunately. i've got a '91 bmw 850 that costs an arm and a leg to fix and a 2001 s500 that's by no means an inexpensive car to repair either. i certainly wouldn't offer this guy what he's asking. one thing that i DO know is that.... most of these rovers were owned by soccer moms that did not take good care of them. i figure it kind of comes with the territory. those interior trim pieces can be fixed or replaced pretty easily and inexpensively so that per se does not scare me away from this car. any and all advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
ed1655 said:
i'm TRYING to learn. i'm not totally naive about all this.... but i'm on this forum because i DO need advice. i'm also not new to expensive repair bills unfortunately. i've got a '91 bmw 850 that costs an arm and a leg to fix and a 2001 s500 that's by no means an inexpensive car to repair either. i certainly wouldn't offer this guy what he's asking. one thing that i DO know is that.... most of these rovers were owned by soccer moms that did not take good care of them. i figure it kind of comes with the territory. those interior trim pieces can be fixed or replaced pretty easily and inexpensively so that per se does not scare me away from this car. any and all advice is appreciated!
Understood!

Check the air suspension!!!

Close all doors, make sure it goes up, make sure it goes down... Put it in off road mode, then walk around it with your ear to the fender, listen for leaks. Take it for a 20 min drive, make sure it doesn't throw any codes. Make sure the battery isn't leaking fluid, make sure the oil filter isn't leaking, make sure it isn't losing coolant.

Make sure all the door locks function, do all the windows work?

Do the power seats work?

Headlights working?

Make sure the engine is smooth and doesn't rasp, get under it and make sure it doesn't have any strange damage or leaks.

The issue is little problems you'd suspect are an easy fix are linked into expensive parts or hard to reach places which require a crap load of money to repair.

The best advice I can give you, if you're not already familiar with these cars, get to know an independent shop, then on your test drive throw the shop a few bux to go through the range.

The condition of that interior concerns me, plus there is some damage to the leather in a few spots. If the owner had little respect for the interior I'd imagine they also didn't pay much attention to schedule service.

Check the engine bay, if it's crud covered walk! Pay close attention to where the head meets the block, around the power steering/oil/and coolant res.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey - thanks. i'm going to post another thread about this - i'd like to know your opinion on a rover i'm negotiating price on that's actaully AT a rover dealership... hopefully you can chime in.

- E

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh and by the way - as you can see by my sig ("THE PRICE OF COOL AIN'T CHEAP!") i do understand that i'm going to have to pay some maintenence or at least get a good warranty! :thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts