RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a message telling me check low beam...

The passenger side headlight would not come on... I had someone turn the lights on and off and I could see the bulb try to come on, but it immediately shuts off. I checked the search a little but didn't find a clear answer?

What usually causes that? I thought these bulbs were supposed to last a long time, or do I need a new headlight assembly? What are your experiences with a fouled headlight?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just went out to at least check to see if the bulb had a bad or disconnected wire... Is it just me or is land rover off their rocker? It was dark out, so I may have missed some latch or access door, but to me it looks like you have to remove the air cleaner, the grill, etc etc to get to the light out of the passenger side... Is that true? It looks like an hour job and a possible $1000 dollar repair... The bulb alone is $200? What? haha

I went outside thinking I'll quickly throw the drivers side bulb in the passenger just to trouble shoot the problem, but it looks like I need like 4 hours to do that? Is that right? WTF :dance:

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,369 Posts
As Land Rover believe that the average L322 owner isn’t competent enough to change a light bulb, there are no ‘instructions’ in the Owner’s Handbook on how to replace the Bi-Xenon bulbs :

“Replacement or maintenance of xenon lights should be carried out only by qualified personnel”

….something to do with 28,000 volts, no doubt. The bulb also contains mercury, so apparently it’s best not to eat it.

Anyway, you can access the bulb cover without removing the air cleaner. There may be some information here which helps identify the relevant bits : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31259

Phil

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the post, I am going to start pulling it apart later tonight when it cools off outside. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahhh... last night was too dark, I see the the access door now... Swapped bulbs, working drivers side to not working passenger side... Passenger side fired right up, blown bulb. :thumb:

Can I get this bulb anywhere else besides land rover?

·
Registered
13 Posts
$389?!?!? That is a rip off. You could have probably gotten two new bulbs of a higher degree Kelvin (higher the Kelvin the different color projection) for a cheaper price. I am not sure what size he bulb is, but has to be either an 9006 or an h4. $389 seems so high for one bulb. BTW I have heard that when replacing one and not he other, the new one is a whole lot brighter than the old one. I have not seen this for myself before but would appreciate your results in case this might happen to me. Also what about the abs sensor?

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
drbimmerm3 said:
$389?!?!? That is a rip off. You could have probably gotten two new bulbs of a higher degree Kelvin (higher the Kelvin the different color projection) for a cheaper price. I am not sure what size he bulb is, but has to be either an 9006 or an h4. $389 seems so high for one bulb. BTW I have heard that when replacing one and not he other, the new one is a whole lot brighter than the old one. I have not seen this for myself before but would appreciate your results in case this might happen to me. Also what about the abs sensor?
I paid basically $400 because I'm pressed for time, taking the truck to cape cod and doing some off roading on the dunes. I saw they're $149 on Atlantic British but I needed them...

The bulb the dealer gave me isn't the stock bulb, they don't match... The new one burns an awful yellow color, I doubt they'll let me return it, but I'm going to try tomorrow. Pretty bad being unsatisfied with a $400 dollar light bulb that's not stock equipment and burns the wrong color.

I also discovered any Ds2 Xenon bulb will work, my mustang has a pair of those so I swapped them in. Screw the mustang it doesn't need light bulbs to sit in the garage anyway!

·
Registered
49 Posts
wow $389 for a bulb.. i paid £30.00 for my 8000k ones from ebay when i had mine lol....they also take d2c bulbs too which are d2s and d2r replacements,they have both sets of cutouts on the d2c to place into any cars that require these d2s or d2r type bulbs...
the bulbs i got of ebay were from a uk company and i had them checked out at an mot testing station to make sure they fell into required beam pattern for use,they were as good as the stock bulbs too they said,nice clean cutof and no light spread either so was well wort 30 quid :thumb:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Had a similar problem, 05 TD6 Vogue. Driver side bulb flickering, then only coming on intermittently.
Friend with 04 HSE TD6 had same problem.
Purchased a pair of new Philips D2S bulbs from eBay seller oem_xenon_parts (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... OTORS:1123). Guy named Wei on the eBay store very helpful and courteous.
Around $140.
Also purchased a ballast (around $120) from these guys as that was the problem on my friends RR.
Items arrived, installed and all is now well.
Local RR stealerships in Kildare and Dublin (Ireland) were quoting €980 per RR to repair, not including VAT or labour.
Such rip offs......

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
560 Posts
The bulbs will change color overtime they are whiter when new and turned bluer over time. As long as the temperature is the same they will never be a match since the other one is older and is constantly changing to a bluer color. Of course they could have given you a totally lower kelvin bulb.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
roverboy said:
The bulbs will change color overtime they are whiter when new and turned bluer over time. As long as the temperature is the same they will never be a match since the other one is older and is constantly changing to a bluer color. Of course they could have given you a totally lower kelvin bulb.
I'm going to stop in on my way to work tomorrow and ask about a return... The bulb I pulled out is philips, and the bulb they sold me just isn't the same.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As usual Land Rover of Sudbury Ma, is awesome... No questions asked, waved the repacking fee and everything. Full credit for the bulb. :thumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts