RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Has anyone experienced P0430 code before? The code seems to indicate cat efficiecy low bank 2 and could indicate bad o2 or even cats. I have 35k miles on the car so I didn't think I would have to replace cats this soon. Any thoughts?

For grins, I added techron fuel injector cleaners and put a new batch of Shell gas in just to see. So far, after 3 on off cycles, the light is still on.

Thanks

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Yep, that would seem to indicate a failed bank 2 catalyst, but it could very well be temporary and perhaps caused by a batch of bad / contaminated gas... Ideally you'd want to clear the fault with an approved diagnostics program to see if it returns (if it does, you may indeed have a bigger problem), but even more mundane CELs due to a loose gas cap don't always disappear right away after you correct the issue, so give it a few more miles of driving around and ignition restarts, hopefully the CEL will clear on its own and stay that way. Does the engine seem to run OK, no misfires and such?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Umbertob! Thanks so much for the reply. The engine is running just fine. It did feel a bit sluggish prior to filling with new batch of gas. I will keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After about 24 hrs and a few cycles, the light turned off. Hopefully it will stay off!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Doesn't your code reader have the ability to reset the warning light?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the late reply - yes, it has the ability to erase but I don't want to erase until I know what the issue is. I picked up scanner Autel MS300 from amazon for under $20.

·
Registered
89 Posts
About 6 weeks ago the CEL (check engine light) came on. No issues, no signs there was anything wrong. Drove my RRS for about a week, and the light never went off. I had an appointment at the dealer to have my wheels installed so I figured I would ask them about it at that time.

My appointment comes, I have the wheels installed, but forget to ask about the CEL. No worries, as I drive away I notice the CEL is no longer on. My assumption, the dealer must have taken care of it somehow when dealing with the wheels / TPMS sensors. Now as I think about it, why would they have hooked up the computer to my RRS to install a new set of wheels? Doesn't seem logical now.

Fast forward to this afternoon, driving the RRS and look down and notice the CEL is on. Again, everything seems fine, no performance issues. Stop in at my local parts store, and they advise me it shows code P0430.

My plan is to call my LR dealer tomorrow and inquire, but before I do I thought I'd throw it out to my forum experts.

Is there anything besides the catalytic converter needing to be replaced that could cause this code to show up?
What is the dealer going to do to diagnose the problem?
If it is the catalytic converter, is it true that even if my vehicle is out of warranty, the catalytic converter has a separate 8 year / 80k mile warranty?

Thanks for any advice / help !!

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
A P0420 or 430 code really cannot be caused by anything but the cat itself not being fully efficient(in theory a bad upstream sensor can cause it, however a fault for the sensor will occur first, and the cat efficiency code will be disabled), as it is thrown due to the downstream sensors switching at too fast of a rate when compared to the upstream, which will not occur due to any sort of failure, be it ignition, fueling, or other sensors. That said, other things can cause the cat to temporarily be not as efficient as it should, and is expected to be.

The cats are covered under the 8/80 warranty, and as long as you are under 80k miles. As long as you didn't have the fault cleared at the parts store, just take a trip to the dealership, and you'll have a new cat at no charge to you. They will need it to be a current fault in order for them to replace it (not entirely true, but it's a lot less hassle if the light is still on)

·
Registered
497 Posts
Spark plug non foulers. Clear the code and put a non fouler of the oxygen sensor and you can get another 50k miles out of the cats. Good luck!

·
Registered
89 Posts
....The cats are covered under the 8/80 warranty, and as long as you are under 80k miles. As long as you didn't have the fault cleared at the parts store, just take a trip to the dealership, and you'll have a new cat at no charge to you. They will need it to be a current fault in order for them to replace it (not entirely true, but it's a lot less hassle if the light is still on)
Mileage is not an issue, and thankfully the code was not cleared. Sounds like it should be a painless trip to the dealer.

Much thanks for the advice RoverGuy !!

To help with the integrity of this thread I'll make sure to post a follow-up with the results of the visit to the dealer.

·
Registered
806 Posts
The dealer just replaced my cat at no charge. Same code. The truck was past warranty, but not the Cat warranty. I was very pleased since I did not buy the vehicle at a LR dealer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The dealer just replaced my cat at no charge. Same code. The truck was past warranty, but not the Cat warranty. I was very pleased since I did not buy the vehicle at a LR dealer.
Thanks for the info Arby !

I have an appointment with my indy mechanic tomorrow, he's going to check out the O2 sensors. He doesn't charge a diagnostic fee, so it doesn't hurt to get another opinion. But if it turns out to be the catalytic converter, I've set up an appointment for Tuesday with my local LR dealer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts