RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
92 with 140K miles. Driving around town when I come to a stop the A/C fans slow down and at night the lights dim. As I accelerate away from the stop as the lights and fan come back up to speed the "Check Engine Light" flashes. Has a new alternator.

Bad ground somewhere? Voltage regulator?

·
Registered
150 Posts
RKC, I think the 1992 MY came with the on board display. It is located under your passenger seat and will display codes that could have caused your check engine light to come on. There is a sticky at the top of this forum by Doc Leo on "On Board Display". Hope it helps.

If not, hopefully someone will post up some thoughts. Your description of the lights dimming seems electrical and alternator wiring since recently changes my have become lose. Grounds could be another area to check.

Parker
1993 LWB Plymouth Blue

PS - Congrats on you 2nd place finish at the Car show.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The alternator was replace about a month before I bought the Rover. Hadn't noticed the problem till I started running the A/C.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I have to concur with our neighbor to the south. I would check the connections at the alternator and on the battery. I am amazed at what I find sometimes. The grounds although perhaps less likely are also a good place to check. It doesn't hurt to pull them and clean off the contact points.

You say, it only happens with the AC on? How is the idle when the AC is on? Is she struggling to idle when you are sitting still?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Flashing Check Engine on most cars means misfire detected, not sure if it means the same on rovers.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds okay at idle, the tach pretty much sets at 0 on idle.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
The tach should be getting its signal from the alternator. I wonder if everything is hooked up correctly there?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Tach should not read 0. Have you checked your the tension on the alternator belt? When I turn my a/c on I can see a slight dimming of the lights for a moment. I'm with Okie, check your altenator connections and belt tension.

Parker
1993 LWB Plymouth Blue

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll check the alternator electrical connections. Tach doesn't really follow the rpms they should driving around. Drop significantly when I let off throttle.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Perhaps the alternator belt is so loose that the alternator simply stops spinning at idle? Does the charge light also come on then?

Scott

1 - 10 of 10 Posts