Range Rovers Forum banner

Check Engine light just came on---local shop can't read it

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  allyv8 
#1 ·
Okay, so my understanding of these symbols is that the generic ones can be read. shop used the standard reader and it says "passing" so i'm not sure what to do.

I thought maybe an 02sensor or something...i just changed to a custom exhaust (took out middle resonator and rear section, replaced with muffler and pipe. nothing crazy, and it was way behind the cat.

anyway, i dont want to drop $100 to get the stealership to plug it in. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Re: Check Engine light just came on---local shop can't read it

My code reader can read engine generic codes no problem, but I don't know what the "passing" means.
My reader gives live data, and has always shown the issue when a check engine light was on.
If it is something more complicated though, a fault mate, rovacom etc will be needed. For an o2 sensor, a QUALITY reader should work fine.
Maybe try a different shop.
Martin

#5 ·
Check engine light won't reset/clear

Okay, I went to autozone and checked the codes....turns out it was a misfire on cylinder 6, and a coil code. anyway, further investigation revealed a loose plug wire on #6. reattached, reset codes, turned off car, turned it back on, everything good, nothing else came up, but the check engine light NEVER went off. Am I missing something? I wish i had $1 for every time a mechanic said "I've never seen THAT problem..."

:roll:

#7 ·

Autozone will read your codes?

What tool are they using to do this?

#9 ·

it was an actron. it read the misfire codes when the spark plug wire was off. They can read some of the "check engine soon" codes. standard stuff, nothing hvac etc related. it's weird because it told me everything is cleared, but the light is still on.

#12 ·

the codes were still there...i took it to the LR dealership because I jsut bought it and I trust Lou. I needed that check engine light looked into and wanted to look her over since it was their first time meeting. He lets me down into his bay and we go through the truck together symptom by symptom. He has 15 years of experience with the p38 plus he owned one. put it this way he can start a full p38 headgasket job at 8 and be driving it at lunch. He also knows I do a lot myself, so he doesnt advise me to do big repairs. I swear the minute he wants to leave that place i'm opening a shop with him in Maryland :dance:

Anyway, we went top to bottom, checked every joint, gasket, bracket, and rubber anything from sunroof to tire tread and got a complete diagnostic on imminent, short term repairs, and long term repairs. he was shocked that the only leaks at 99k were the oil cooler line and the valve cover gaskets with no prior head gasket jobs. He did say when changing the oil cooler lines that sometimes you have to replace the entire cooler bc the lines going into the cooler break off.

He reset the codes, and all is well at the moment on that issue. now on to fix the other little things.

#16 ·

afox04 said:
Seriously no joke the guy is a true pro. 4 hours.
All I can say to that is he will never do any work for me - over the years I have met many "techs" with claims of being able to do an engine swap in 10 mins.Without fail they are the ones with the highest comeback rate,biggest pile of leftover nuts/bolts etc.It takes as long as it takes - do it properly once.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.