RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Re: Check engine light (CEL) due to fuel cap leakage or something

441 code is incorrect purge flow, usually a bad purge valve, but I have seen other things cause it on this too. A restriction in the vent side of the system will restrict the purge flow.

Do some shopping for the purge valve, P/N MAP500100, prices nearly tripled on it a couple months ago, you might be able to find one for the old price still.
Thanks a lot once again for helping me out. So my first step to fixing this issue should be replacing the purge valve and if that doesnt work, then other things right?
One more question, i am leaving on a month long vacation this sunday, can i leave it like that and fix it once i am back. Maybe i can get good pricing on the purge valve there. I am trying to find out how much it would cost me here in Edmonton, Canada. Will definitely let you know before buying.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
46 Posts

I think worst case would be the tank itself, cracked seam or something, but labor should be right around there for just about anything with the system. I would suspect a bad seal, either at the pump, or a pressure line.

Unless it is leaking a lot, as in puddle while running, I don't see the 171/174 being related.
Rover, wish you would have told me the metal plate supported the gas tank 8-0=8-0=8-0=8-0= had a nice surprise when I removed the last bolt this morning! haha. that was fun; all my hard work in the gym during my bi/tricep sets really paid off!

I've already got an appointment scheduled with my indy shop.

I am in agreement with you that the 171/174 are not related. A couple months back, if you recall you helped with that issue too, I changed the PCV, cleaned MAF, AirFilter, throttle, etc... cleared all codes and ran a scan a few days later. Only code that popped up was the 442 - knowing it was tied to the gas cap error/fuel system I continued to drive with the notion that I would eventually have to replace the DMTL pump (or at least thats what my google SA told me)... So somewhere in between that time and now, 171/174 popped up. However I have a slight feeling it was triggered after yesterdays alignment while the "GREAT" guys at Firestone did a 'courtesy' check.

thanks again, and hope you solve your prob hussy (sorry again)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

Jaysen, no problem bud. Its good that you brought that up as well. People really appreciate all this information.

Roverguy, i called my dealership and they say its for $560 CAD on special order. Pretty expensive ehh? I think il try to find some good parts people in US and get it shipped from there. My dealership is a ripoff. Is it an easy installation (would I be able to do it myself)?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

Ok one more quick question, i just called roverparts.com and they said that MAP500100 is for the Range Rover Sport 4.4 not for the supercharged 4.2. The part number they gave for supercharged 2006 purge valve is MAP500180. Rover guy please advise. The price difference is huge as well.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts

i just called roverparts.com and they said that MAP500100 is for the Range Rover Sport 4.4 not for the supercharged 4.2. The part number they gave for supercharged 2006 purge valve is MAP500180.
They are completely correct, I forgot you had a SC. - add your vehicle information to your signature to help with that.

The purge valve on the SC is much more difficult then on the NA, which is actually fairly easy. By the book, throttle body and exhaust need to come off for replacement, most shops would charge a couple hours to do this.

Also, jaysen, hope it was at least almost empty, 23 Gallons gets heavy.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

They are completely correct, I forgot you had a SC. - add your vehicle information to your signature to help with that.

The purge valve on the SC is much more difficult then on the NA, which is actually fairly easy. By the book, throttle body and exhaust need to come off for replacement, most shops would charge a couple hours to do this.

Also, jaysen, hope it was at least almost empty, 23 Gallons gets heavy.
Sorry about that, my bad. But the thing is that there is a huge difference in the prices. 500180 is for $55 and 500100 is for $350. So even if they charge a couple hours I will be fine. I dont trust these auto shops cause they easily lie to you. Yesterday I called an auto workshop just to get the OBD plugged in and he told me a long story that it is very difficult and ut would take an hour and we are gonna charge you $160 just to give you what code it is. I went to Mr. Lube and they did it in 2 minutes for free.

I am gonna check with the dealership for pricing on this part and see where i get good pricing the. Will order it before going on vacation.

·
Registered
655 Posts

I realize some of the people on here have bigger problems than the simple gas cap cel code on the dash. I got the code twice and got sick of seeing it and got a 50 dollar code reader and cleared the code twice and it never came back. Sometimes you just have to clear the codes. These aren't the best made vehicles but we must be crazy for putting up with them! Good luck to everyone with more serious problems.

·
Registered
46 Posts

ust an updater for those curious...

Received a call from my Indy shop; it was a seal, or lack thereof. Turns out when they (same shop) replaced the fuel pump they forgot to replace the seal...

I'm really glad they fessed up to their mistake and not charging me anything. I'm chalking this up to a genuine mistake; we're all human. Kudos to them!

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Dave - Can idling for about 30 min cause the P0441 error - due to heat buildup or other conditions. I cleared the fault this AM after it came on, and drove for about 100 miles and has not come back on yet. Am I buying time, should I just bite the bullet and replace the purge valve?

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
P0441 can be a tricky one, and can come and go. Idling is the easiest way for it to throw the fault, just because everything is static(no fuel sloshing in the tank, no changes in manifold pressure) but it throwing the fault means that it saw something wrong.

I've seen these where it was a one time fluke, just something sticking, and not come back after clearing it. So if it comes back, you'll probably need a new purge valve, but it might stay gone. This is also not tested every time you drive the vehicle, only when certain conditions are met, so you can easily see a few hundred miles before it coming back if it's not completely failed.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Absolute worst case slightly higher fuel consumption if it sticks open. Excessive fuel tank pressure could occur if the purge valve and the change-over(vent) valve were to both fail stuck closed, and then the tank went through a drastic temperature change(pretty unlikely, but could happen in theory) So, really not immediate concern as far as drivability goes, just emissions stuff, and obviously the loss of the check engine light as a warning device.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts