RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
So i gave the front end 06+ conversion a try on my 04 Range Rover. It turned out great and looks great. But since you have to use the new style head light, i had to fit a K&N open air filter system. It seemed to be ok until my check engine light came on and the codes that are in the computer are:
P0172 system to rich (bank 1)
P0175 system to rich (bank 2)
Does anyone know if this problem is related to the new filter or is it a coincident that and o2 sensor or MAF unit might be faulty. Is this a matter of trying to fit the old air box or replacement of those sensors? what can cause the system to run to rich? to much air from the less restricted K&N filter?


Thanks,
Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Too rich means not enough air getting in. Perhaps that new air filter isn't as free flowing as its maker claims?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
Did the conversion 3 years ago, also fitted a K&N and have not had any issues with CEL

Although it has had 2 new MAFs of which i blame the k&n for!!

Normally when the MAF goes it's flagged up quite a number of fault codes although i'm told this varies depending on if it's going or gone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,119 Posts
Monty said:
Did the conversion 3 years ago, also fitted a K&N and have not had any issues with CEL

Although it has had 2 new MAFs of which i blame the k&n for!!

Normally when the MAF goes it's flagged up quite a number of fault codes although i'm told this varies depending on if it's going or gone.
Would be nice to see a pic of your Front End?
 

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
560 Posts
Error on both banks would be the MAF sensor. The oil from the K&N filters can sometimes blow onto the think film of the MAF and cause it to read wrong. Would be a good idea to replace the MAF since the film can't be cleaned. Truck looks great BTW
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Today an independent shop hooked the car up to a laptop and "reset/reflash" the computer and did some other diagnostic test. Drove back home and no check engine light and it passed smog as well.
Must have been a problem with my battery that i replaced yesterday, causing the computer to mess up.
For now the problem seems to be solved.
Thanks,
Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
roverboy said:
Error on both banks would be the MAF sensor. The oil from the K&N filters can sometimes blow onto the think film of the MAF and cause it to read wrong. Would be a good idea to replace the MAF since the film can't be cleaned. Truck looks great BTW
How can you even check if you MAF sensor is bad? Isn't there a seperate code that come up?

Thanks,
Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
I got a local bodyshop to do the conversion, the only cutting required was on the hidden leading edge of the wings (fenders) as this allows the 06 lights to fit flush.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Monty said:
I got a local bodyshop to do the conversion, the only cutting required was on the hidden leading edge of the wings (fenders) as this allows the 06 lights to fit flush.
Ive been having trouble leveling my new head lamps. Do you have a trick that helped level yours?

Thanks,
Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
I've never got around to wiring up the self leveling lights so just adjusted them once and have not had to touch them since. Adjustment is by a screw on the back of the headlight.

Only problem i had was the dealer supplied left hand drive headlights!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Monty said:
I've never got around to wiring up the self leveling lights so just adjusted them once and have not had to touch them since. Adjustment is by a screw on the back of the headlight.

Only problem i had was the dealer supplied left hand drive headlights!
i dont see any adjustable screw on the back of the head light. is it inside those screw caps?

thanks,
mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mk8k8 said:
Monty said:
I've never got around to wiring up the self leveling lights so just adjusted them once and have not had to touch them since. Adjustment is by a screw on the back of the headlight.

Only problem i had was the dealer supplied left hand drive headlights!
i dont see any adjustable screw on the back of the head light. is it inside those screw caps?

thanks,
mike
Found them, they are so obviously not obvious :lol:

Now just need to change the MAF sensor and see if that takes care of the system rich engine codes

thanks,
Mike
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top