RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, tried searching for this but most ended in debates on what type of coolant to use as most car forums do.

I have a 04 HSE and noticed it was leaking coolant recently. Checked the levels and it’s pretty low and now getting the warning.

I have a go too shop I take the RR but I recently moved and the shop is now about an hour away. Won’t have time to go take her in tell later this week.

My noob question is what type of coolant should I top it off with. I bought this coolant from auto zone to hold me over for the next few days. Is this going to hurt the RR more or will this be okay tell I take it in and have the shop flush the coolant and replace then?

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
346 Posts
If in a bind - like in the middle of no where water will work. If you have more time and the service station only has universal that is better.

If you have a decent shop near by just check the color of your current fluid - it should be blue or purple. You can use Pentofrost with the color of your coolant matching the color of the bottle's cap. (The fluid should be blue - but some shops swap it out with the Purple. Difference is really the color only).

The Peak mentioned above is Blue and correct. It really depends on what you can purchase at the shop. The Peak is premixed. I always carry a 20 oz bottle of the correct coolant in all my cars - just use a cleaned out plastic pop bottle.

Cleaning up - water is not really recommended as it has a very low boiling point and can freeze in the winter, but if stranded one does what they can. If the system is not completely empty it will be fine to get you home. Use some common sense if it is freezing out. Universal works just fine, but the correct fluid is best. Under either of these scenarios do a complete flush and use distilled water (not tap water) when mixing the coolant (if required) after you repair the leak.

·
Registered
39 Posts
By chance I researched this matter a month ago while stuck in a mountain town on vacation when my 2004 L322 alternator failed. (The BMW engine alternators are water cooled.) Pretty impressive failure, by the way, with screaming and thick smoke coming quickly from under the hood, including a broken drive belt. I did the research for the local mechanic, who had never worked on a Rover before but nonetheless successfully pulled it off. I concluded that, in theory, the following coolants should work fine according to their manufacturers' websites:

-The blue Euro fluids often mentioned in other threads, because duh
-Zerex G-48
-Prestone European Vehicles
-Peak European Vehicles

Some key words for the BMW coolants, as I understand it...

-Hybrid Organic Acid Technology "HOAT"
-A hybrid coolant with added silicates
-"Global" is often found in the name, as is "Euro" or "European"
-"G-05" is often mentioned as a spec
-Typically blue in color, as you're aware

·
Registered
70 Posts
The coolant you bought isn't going to hurt anything and you should be able to safely use it temporarily to top off a leaking system.

With that said, I only use and would recommend Genuine BMW coolant in my Rovers (both 2004), you can get an undiluted bottle for $26 from AutoHaus (HERE) or stop by any BMW dealer and get it. Dilute with DISTILLED WATER 50/50.

Your coolant leak could be coming from anywhere, but the most common place where M62-based vehicles leak coolant from is the valley pan. If and when you replace it, don't go OEM, it's actually an inferior part because new valley pans come with some RTV preapplied and don't actually have a gasket. Uro parts re-engineered the pan and custom manufactured a viton gasket that seals perfectly. I've been using one on Rover 2 for a while now and have already bought one to replace the leaking valley pan on Rover 1. (Link to Uro valley pan here)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts