RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... like most P38's my subs were rotted out and sounded even worse. On my last go-round with the Rhino I replaced the subs with some Rockford Fosgates that sounded pretty decent... this time I came across some Lanzar MaxP64 subs that had halfway decent specs and even better... they were dirt cheap. $23 each shipped. Obviously there are better subs out there but for the money it was worth the gamble. Dropped em in today and to my surprise they actually sound pretty decent. So for those of you with the dual 6.5" sub enclosure these might be worth a try. If you have the older band pass 8" enclosure you're on your own.

-Mag

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
135 Posts
Mag- Did you wire them through the sub amplifier in the sub box or eliminate that? I got an entire subwoofer replacement box on ebay. They work fine but who knows how old they are. I seem to remember the sub amp is bolted to the bottom of the speakers right? How did that work out? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I used the stock amp in the box to power them. Had to screw it down into the box so it wouldn't bounce around while driving. Also had to extend the stock wires about 8" to make it easier to hook them up but that probably wasn't necessary. The negative terminal on the stock subs is a smaller spade connector than on the replacements so you'll have to change those out at a minimum.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
135 Posts
Mag- I'm guessing that the stock subs are 4 ohms since that is what the Lanzars are? I don't know much about sound systems but I see the Lanzars are rated for 600 watts. I'm sure the H-K/Alpine is not putting out anything even near that. Does that effect the volume balance with the rest of the system? I see other 4 ohm subs for sale that are rated for more like 100-200. Would those also work if I wanted a higher end speaker? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's ok to have an amp with lower power rating than the speakers... it's when the speakers are getting more power than they are rated for that you start getting troubles. Sometimes though, lower wattage speaker are rated higher for their 1w/1m spl level so they'll actually sound louder given the same power input. In any case... these are perfectly safe to run and sound halfway decent... especially for $46 shipped.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts