RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fellow Landy Lovers, I need some help. I recently restored a 1976 2-Door Range Rover classic. After the three month restoration, I shipped it to Florida from our shop over seas. Whilst getting the truck inspected by the local DMV so I could then transfer the title to an American one, the inspector noticed that a 1 at the end of the 8 Digit (+1 letter) chassis number was missing. So they then sent me down to the Sheriff Department to have it inspected by a detective for stolen vehicles. Whilst checking the number on the frame, he noticed or claimed that the number was not only just missing a 1 at the end, but that the last four numbers of the Chassis # had been tampered with or at least that they had been somehow, somewhere, for some reason re-stamped. He then told me that because of this, he would have to confiscate the vehicle and impound it pending the results of an investigation. There are only two options I was given by him...option A) He would clear it during his investigation and release the car back to me and then I could title it or option B) The Sheriff Dept will destroy it. This is absolutely unacceptable. Here's what I have though;
-Title (Guatemalan) in my name
-Registration (Guatemalan) in my name
-Matching engine number
-Matching Vin plate number
-Bill of Sale
-A copy of the ID of the guy I bought it from in September of last year
-Customs paperwork from Guatemala and Florida
-The VIN/Chassis # is 35824961D

This Rover is 100% original right down to the valves and push rods. I've already sent off for a certified copy of the factory build sheet from the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust but it will take at least a month for them to get back to me and I'm short on time here. So I'm turning to this Range Rover community to see if there's any additional information I can gather to build a case against demolition of this beauty.

Here's what I need to know;
-How can I somehow prove that the chassis wasn't swapped? (which I doubt very much it was)
-Are there any other places on the chassis with the VIN # ?
-If the parts are all original (which they are) can the numbers on the parts be used to prove that the chassis is original?

Thanks all, any information would be greatly appreciated to help save my Rover! -Tyson

Attachments

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,719 Posts
Any department that has dealt with hand stamped numbers should be more than familiar with errors during production, it is after all a human doing the work, not a robot. It is also very possible that the "D" was stamped on top of the "1" thus hiding it. SOmething else to bring up to them is that is the chassis had been swapped the number would not be the same up to the missing digit. It would most likely be something entirely different. Just keep pressing them, the light bulb will go on eventually.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,069 Posts
I used to have an old parts book with the numbers but I sold it to a bloke. Some info is here http://www.range-rover-classic.com/Home/land-rover-brochures/range-rover-1970-s#TOC-1975-Range-Rover-Model-Year---VIN-Suffix-D---Released:-April-1975-. 358 means LHD export, D means 1975 but by the number (24961) is should be an E? The referenced site says for some reason LR went from D to F so there weren't any Es which would be typical of the LR approach to the world. The last few digits would have been individually stamped which is why it might look a bit dicky.

It all looks clean to me - got the right number of digits - Don't know where the bloke got the 1 from - if it is on your paper work and doesn't match the placard then it is probably a transcription error.

Don't know what the drum is where you are, but I would be paying a lawyer $300 to get some solid advice/write a letter on your behalf.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
170 Posts
It's already for sale on his website so I guess he's cleared it. I wish I had the cash burning a hole in my pocket. Nice 2dr Rangie, GLWS!

PS - I also love the S1. Sucks to be broke...LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts